Replace seal

UM2

Jun 11, 2014
Hunter 40.5 Penetanguishene
Are you refering to the packing and are you in the water or on a cradle right now?
Are you wanting to pull the shaft out of the copling?

Aug 24, 2014
Aphrodite 101 148 Coeur d Alene ID
It is out of the water and yes I need to replace the seal so I need to loosen the coupling
Thanks

Aug 24, 2014
I'm replacing the seal aft of the coupling. I'm told I need to slide the new seal down the shaft

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
if you can get the coupling off (good luck with that ) then all you have to do is slide it back .take off the old seal and put the new one in its place then slide the shaft back foward in the shaft coupling and re install if not then you may have to raise the engine to get the shaft out .....

UM2

Jun 11, 2014
Flim, taking the shaft out of the copling is easy if you can use a puller like the one I made. See the picture. If you will be making one, use some flat stock drilling a hole just under the shaft size then ream it to size. Drill the bolt holes before you split the piece in two. Then drill and tap two 1/4 inch course thread for the two bolts that will be pressing against the copling. So easy to use and does not put strai on anything. If very limited for space you may have to move the puller a few times up the shaft until done. To use it, split and reassemble around the shaft and then back the two bolts alternatively until shaft out but don't forget to take the locking bolt or set screw out of the coupling first.

Attachments

UM2

Jun 11, 2014
Here is another view. My iPhone does not allow sending two pictures at once. I also have another one made up for a 1 inch shaft. Perhaps I could ship the part to you to use if you promise shipping it back :)

Attachments

Aug 24, 2014
I have been able to get the four bolts off the coupling. Now I need to loosen the two Allen screws that clamp the cowling to the shaft.
That is very generous of you. I need to check the shaft diameter.
If it works I PROMISE To return it!

Aug 24, 2014
UM2
It looks like I could use your coupling puller. Would you like me to send you postage? My address is:
Joe Brown
306 N Fernan Lake Road
Coeur d Alene ID 83814

I really appreciate you help!