Replace Jabsco Bilge Pump with what?

Oct 8, 2013
Beneteau 321 1999 Rose Haven, MD
My Jabsco 37202-0000 bilge pump, which may be the original on our '99 Beneteau 321 (ours just a year) makes a LOT of noise, but still pumps the bilge OK. I plan to replace it shortly, both to reduce noise and avoid its failure which I think its noisiness predicts. Plus, it's rated at only 4.5 gpm, which is obviously too little were we to have a real problem. I have some, but not a ton of space to work with; it's currently mounted under a settee with the fresh water pump and water heater, that is, not in the bilge, not submerged (see attached).

Does anyone have any suggestions on a make/model for this application? I'm willing to spend several hundred to make sure I've got a very reliable pump.

Attachments

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
Sir, in my best opinion, I would stick with one just like it or its better. By better I mean the upgraded version thereof. I know of few if any pumps more reliable than the diaphragm type pump you now have. As far as the 'diminished' capacity of its pumping volume, that's the nature of the beast.

I can't tell your sound criteria for said pumping apparatus, but there again, those type pumps are not quiet by nature. It should be evident if the pump motor is the cause by careful sound checks, or even disconnecting it from the pump. Regardless, they are not as quiet as a centrifugal pump. But it is way ahead of the centrifugal pumps in reliability.

That pump is a maintenance pump. Meaning it keeps the bilges pumped dry from small leaks, ie:prop shaft, ice box drain, air conditioner drain, etc, etc. In a catastrophic breach of the hull, the boat will sink trying to clear it with said pump. Large manual Whale type pumps are the chosen tool to deal with large amounts of water.

Oct 8, 2013
Thanks for the insight, CP. It's really VERY noisy, e.g., one can easily hear it standing on the dock. I considered recording it and attaching that file, but I'm already convinced that it needs replacement. I'll have to think hard about where a larger capacity pump could be installed; perhaps a submersible tucked into some cabinet or the like. I'll see if the Beneteau-specific forum has any suggestions.

Apr 2, 2011
Catalina 27 Niceville, FL
Possible that a piece of trash got sucked into the diaphragm. You got nothing to lose, so take in apart and check for debris. Could save yourself some $ as these pumps don't come cheap.

Oct 8, 2013
Possible, DonnyBrook, but there is a strainer upstream. Worth looking into, tho. Thanks!

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
Adam, I didn't know if you were still here. While I can't give you any specific location for a secondary pump, not knowing your Bene layout, but.......another pump is not out of the question however. I stay with my prior comment of not getting rid of your present setup, as it is a good thing. (Bearing in mind your present pump is malfunctioning and needs attention)....

But you can most certainly add another bilge pump. A high volume centrifugal pump is ALWAYS better than one or no pump. So add a 1" or 1 1/4" inch discharge pump, but bearing in mind that you will have to rewire for the secondary pump, and re plumb it, with another thru hull discharge. This is not said to discourage you, all these 'issues' are entirely doable, and relatively simple in the scheme of things. Not expensive either. By all means add another. But it definitely needs to be another system altogether, neither pump sharing any piece of the other. :)

Oct 8, 2013
Thanks, CP. Right now I'm going to concentrate on the iffy Jabsco, and then plumb the depths of knowledge in this and other fora about that secondary, high capacity pump.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
couple of things to consider......those pumps are supposed to have resiliant rubber feet to absorb the running vibration. If the feet are degraded or if they are jammed, the vibes will transfer to the bulkhead and it will be LOUD. Second is that the pump has its own built in check valves so if the discharge hose is long, you don't have to worry about the hose contents backing into the bilge after the pump shuts down. This would cause short cycling .. changing to a centrifugal will allow the hose contents to backflow into the bilge.

Jan 11, 2007
Columbia 28 Sarasota
4.5gpm???you could evacuate more water with a red solo cup than that! Typically that's the rating for a water pressure pump?

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I believe these bilge pump nightmares afflict all new owners. As Chris says, that is your plan A maintenance bilge pump. Check your wiring diagram, you may have wiring for a second bilge pump (my 411 does). In the end I took the salt of blue-water sailors (Don Street's) advice - get a big 30 GPM Edson portable manual pump. The price tag alone will convince you of having taken significant proactive measures! :thumbup: He also says that the best bilge pump is a 5 gallon bucket. When I asked him why, he said it gives a nervous crew member something to do, mitigates panic, and any fool can operate one at 30GPM. :)

Oct 8, 2013
Thanks, Gunni. That is indeed a significant proactive measure! I'll have to at the manual, because I don't recall seeing extra wiring lurking around. And, we certainly have buckets!

Oct 8, 2013
Ross in Tampa, that's exactly what I think/thought! Watching the discharge it appears to be about a gallon or so, which takes 13-14 seconds. As others have said, it's clearly not intended to do anything but maintenance pumping, and nothing for emergencies.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Well, consider the emergency, any sort of catastrophic flooding that would merit an extra electric bilge pump is dependent upon the same battery for power. Once that shorts out you better have Plan C/D/E. You know - out to liferaft, ditch bag, and EPIRB.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
No need to spend hundreds of dollars for a convenience item. A bilge pump that only handles about 270 GPH does not bring any safety to the table. The function of these pumps is merely to provide a convenient way of discharging small amounts of water that collect in the bilge so you do not have soak it up manually. These pumps just cannot handle any significant type of water intrusion. You can substitute it with a submersible 500 GPH electric pump and a float switch for under $50. To go to a larger pump might require you to increase the size of the discharge hose and thru-hull. I do admit that the pump you are currently using will require less maintenance and will provide a much longer useful life and that might be a justification to replace it in itself but do not equate its reliability with safety. If it is safety that you desire install a pair of high volume gusher pumps. One electric and one manual for when off the grid.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Then there are other options. Like plumbing your engine and washdown pump so you can open a valve and use those pumps to empty the boat as best they can.

Apr 14, 2010
Jeanneau 42DS Larnaca Marina
Adam,
I had the same concern with the pump (same as yours) when I bought my boat and I replaced it with a new one of the same model. There was no change in the noise...apparently Beneteau mounts the bilge pumps on a plywood instead of something more solid and glued to the hull and the diaphragm pump up and down motion makes the plywood vibrate. Focus on the mounting instead of the pump. Don't use an impeller rotary pump because they are not reliable enough for a bilge pump. And unfortunately the Bene bilge is too shallow for a submersible one. Good luck.
Lee
S/V Adagio