replace inboard or add outboard to transem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 10, 2009
Ericson Sailboat San Diego
Hi,

I am at a crossroads, my strut is broken and needs to be replaced and I am concerned about my motor lasting another year.

Trying to determine if it is a wise idea to pull the inboard all together and attach an outboard to the transem. Main reason for consideration is the cost.

I have a 71-72 28' Ericson.

Any ideas or suggestions?

I appreciate any feedback :)

Thanks,
Deb

Nov 13, 2009
Ericson 27 Hampton, VA
Deb,
I am also interested in this question. I have an Ericson 27 with a frozen A4. I do own a Yamaha 9.9 outboard and am leaning towards mounting it on the transom.

I would like to know if I am going to have any problems with pulling the A4 & sealing the through hulls.

Thanks,

John Horton

Feb 19, 2010
ericson 35 LA harbor
putting an outboard on a boat that is not designed for one is problematic. first off you will be overboard for starting, reverse will be non affective, lifting will be backbreaking. Your boat was designed for the thurst to be where it is for a reason. Have you thought about electric check out electricyacht.com ot other youtube sites with electric. What is your inboard A 4 why not just fix it??

bigd14

Jan 22, 2010
Ericson 27 PDX
John- Some models of The Ericson 27 came with a stern cutout to mount an outboard. I removed my A4 and cut out the transom to mount an outboard. The Yamaha 9.9 extra long shaft hi thrust version is what I have heard recommended, so I got one. It fits in the cutout perfectly. I can't comment on performance since I have not launched the boat. Photos and log of my project can be found at www.plasticlassicforum.com under Projects, Ericson 27 Project.

Good luck with your decision.

Jan 22, 2008
Ericson 29 tall rig old orchard beach, maine
Hi Ho,

I had the same cross road when I bought my boat last year 1976 29T. the A4 is junk and I will not spring for the cost to repair it. So got a 25hp from a friend (free or I would have purchased a 15HP) and mounted it on the Tansom with a Bracket for the correct size. (it was not cheap) I used 6 Bolts and a 5/8 piece of Plywood backing plate Fender Washers (1.5") (about 12" x 16") I then cut a couple of 3" holes in the cockpit combing for the remove cables and wires to make the connection to the Outboard. I used an existing transome hole to get to hte motor. I mounted the remote controls on the side of hte cockpit combing. All in all it worked fine. I will relocate the Bracket this year up a few inches and way from the transom about 3" That will give me more room for the Motor to tilt up when not in use. I also found out that I only needed 4 bolts. If you are concerned about the interraty of the transome I suggest you reinforce it with a few layers of Fiberglass before you do the bracket.
Also I still have the A4 in the boat and will remove that next year.
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.