Replace Backstay

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dave Daniels

We were just getting set to sail this morning when we saw the snapped backstay wire. It snapped just below a crimp that came from the previous owner and I was too lazy to replace it when the mast was down. I know some have suggested installing a wheel type adjustment device for the backstay. Is this still a preferred option or mainly a "wish list" item? I'd like to get back on the Chesapeake but won't go out without the stay in place. Thanks to all!

M

Mike

Backstay Replacement.

Replacing your backstay is no big job. You will get a lot of advice from many people, remember the people who designed this boat know more about it than anyone else. Original is just fine. A few things of note. 1 It's not hard to replace your backstay. 2 When replacing any standing rigging, don't go super size, The original cable is plenty strong if in good shape and you don't need extra weight aloft. 3 Use the right cable, connectors and methods if you want a good job, don't cut corners. I used 19x1 302 stainless for my new backstay. Take the two parts of your backstay to a marine parts store or ships chandlery. They will help you get a correct measurement for length and cable diameter. 19x1 cable has a smoother surface than other cable lays and you should always use two compression fittings (nicropress) to help prevent any slipage. These require special tools which have a sat of dies machined to an exact diameter. Don't try to "mash them with a hammer" as someone else once suggested on this forum. I made a set if rigging tongs to help set the cable around the thimbles (see photos). The cable is rather stiff and getting it to bend can be a chore. I slide both fittings onto the cable, crimp the one furthest from the thimble first, then use the tongs to spread the nicropress fittings apart and force the cable into a snug fir on the thimble. A local marine supply will also help you crimp the fittings and will normally loan you the crimping tool so you can make your cable on site. NEVER USE A CLAMP ON CABLE CONNECTOR. The U shaped threaded bolt will weaken the cable. As for the stay adjuster. That is more an item of the wish list variety than the must have type. I adjust my backstay about once a year when she first goes into the water. Once adjusted I don't have to touch it for the rest of the year. Happy Sailing, Mike The Lady Lynne, San Diego PS Photo is NOT of back stay but show how tongs are applied.

Attachments

D

dan

Backstay Adjuster

Hi Dave The backstay adjuster will help let off pressure on the forestay for attachment during mast raising. Without it you will need to really crank on the mast raising rigging to get the forestay in place. This puts stress on your rigging that is not necessary. When my backstay goes, I will definately install an adjuster! happy rigging...dan

Status
Not open for further replies.