Repairing blisters

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike Mckendry

I am getting ready to haul my boat and work on some small blisters. I plan to grind out the 20-30 or so blisters that are dime sized. I will then let them dry out before filling them in and repainting. Any secrets or suggestions?

B

Bob Camarena

West System

Check out the West System. They have a well written pamphlet on the subject to go along with their high quality materials.

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Dremel

I found my Dremel tool to be invaluable for popping boat zits. You have terrific control & don't have to grind a monster divit out of your hull, just one slightly larger than the blister itself. Make sure you get all the way down to dry glass before quitting. Use West Systems &, as Bob mentioned, get their pamphlet. Have fun (yuck!) LaDonna

J

Jeff Walker

when little blisters get half dollar size

My '30 had dime size blisters for years but when they started gettin big I bit the bullet and ground off all of the gelcoat, let dry for 2 months, coated the glass Interlux epoxy seal coat, and replaced the gel coat. It's been 5 years now and no blisters. My wallet was lightened by $4000 but I had re-negotiated the price down with the seller when I first discovered them during the survey. I don't believe they would have ever created a structural problem because they were between the fiberglass and the gel coat but I hated seeing them everytime I pulled the boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.