Repairing a poly water tank on a 2002 hunter passage

Feb 6, 2010
hunter passage456 kemah
My stand alone fresh water tank on my 2002 hunter 456 has a leak..anybody had success in repairing a hunter supplied poly water tank ...and if so confirm the material..I assume it's polyethelene? Eager to hear how to repair a crack or a hole

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Because there is no sealant that will bond permanently to PE, there's only one way to mend a PE tanK: heat welding, which isn't as simple as just squirting melted PE into the crack or hole, requires some skill, and depending on the location of a crack, still may not be successful in permanently sealing a crack , though it should seal a hole if done correctly.

There are almost certain to be plastics fabricators in your area who could do it for a very reasonable price if you can remove the tank and take it to them...I recommend you find one instead of trying to do this yourself.

Fwiw, Hunter's OEM supplier was/is Duraweld in FL...their standard wall thickness in only 1/4", which needs to be supported on all sides to support the 8 lbs/gal that water and weigh.

--Peggie

Aug 18, 2018
Hunter 410 MDR
I tried welding a tank on my previous H34.
Held about a year or two. Of course I did it as a temporary fix with a soldering iron which I'm sure is not right. A professional with the right equiptment and experience will be the better way to go as Peggy mentioned.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
"Plastics" is a generic term that covers a whole bunch of man-made materials, including nylon, marelon, PVC, polypropylene and two types of polyethylene, among others. What works to bond one type of plastic or even one type to another type, will not necessarily work permanently on others. PE is the only one I know of to which NO sealant will bond permanently because it's a very oily plastic. It'll keep two pieces together for a while, but how long depends on what's being mended and how much stress is being applied to the bond. Water and waste weigh 8.333 lbs/gal, putting an increasing amount of stress on any sealant in a crack in a wall of a PE water or waste tank, as it tries to reopen it.
Heat sealing is the only permanent fix because both sides of the crack are melted--quite a bit in fact-- and new melted PE is mixed with them, creating a new single mass. (This is an over-simplification of the process, btw) The skill in doing it is in knowing how much of the old PE to melt and how much new to blend with it. The process is necessary to install install female tank fittings in a PE tank...except that this is done using a "spin welder" that heats the edges of the hole the right amount and injects new PE at the same time.

To repeat my advice: call a pro. And count your blessings that it's a water tank, not a waste holding tank few if any shops will touch a used waste tank.

--Peggie

Feb 6, 2010
hunter passage456 kemah
Because there is no sealant that will bond permanently to PE, there's only one way to mend a PE tanK: heat welding, which isn't as simple as just squirting melted PE into the crack or hole, requires some skill, and depending on the location of a crack, still may not be successful in permanently sealing a crack , though it should seal a hole if done correctly.

There are almost certain to be plastics fabricators in your area who could do it for a very reasonable price if you can remove the tank and take it to them...I recommend you find one instead of trying to do this yourself.

Fwiw, Hunter's OEM supplier was/is Duraweld in FL...their standard wall thickness in only 1/4", which needs to be supported on all sides to support the 8 lbs/gal that water and weigh.

--Peggie
Thanks..as it turned out I got the tank out and inspected it no leaks..leak was in the pex line from tank to manifold..running under floorboards

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
That's good news...at least until you find out how much PEX is in need of replacement 'cuz on a boat there's rarely if ever a time when, if it ain't one d'd thing it's another!

-Peggie