Repair water damaged wood. Newport 30 MK III

Feb 28, 2022
Newport 30 Mark III Corpus Christi
Can anyone give some advice on possibly re-staining or how to replace this wood under the/next to the chain plate?

thanks.

Port Chain Plate.jpg

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Hard to see clearly what the extent of damage might be. As this is a significant structural point, I’d focus first on substance rather than appearance when replacing.

Feb 28, 2022
Newport 30 Mark III Corpus Christi
Yes, of course. I will be replacing all of the rigging and chain plates in couple of months. I would like to get the cosmetics at the same time.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
If the bulkhead is sound, maybe all you need to do is stain the stained area.

We can’t blow that photo up very well to see the detail…to @Don S/V ILLusion point, if it was wet before, it should REALLY be inspected thoroughly.

Greg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The chain plates may not be the issue, it is the bulkhead to which they are attached that is a concern. That whole area and the wood under the port are suspect, but can't tell from the photo, need a larger photo.

Get a sample card of wood stains, find a couple that appear to be a close match. Buy small amounts of the stain and apply it to samples of the wood. Pick the one that has the best match. Look in hidden places, like inside hanging lockers for unfinished wood of the same type as the bulkhead, apply the sample stains to those areas.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
I don't know your boat, but many mfgrs made the area
of chainplate attachment out of fiber glass laminate,
then covered that with teak veneer.
If so, Tally Ho's suggestion would be spot on.
How to verify that this is the case...?
Others may have suggestions.
I had to peel off the veneer to verify! :mad:

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
There looks like water damage to the wood up against the hull as well. Replacing a bulk head is pretty straightforward. It looks daunting but the key is to remember that you're simply replacing a piece of plywood (in most cases anyways). Take everything out that's attached to it or could get in the way. Leave your chainplates attached to the deck so you know were to drill new holes. Cut out the fiberglass tabing that connects the bulkhead to the hull. grind down what's left of the tabing. Cut out and stain a new bulkhead. Fit it into place. Attach any screws that hold it to the boat. Apply new tabbing. Reassemble everything

• Helpful