Repair cabin sole with the fake "teak and holly" veneer

Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
A couple weeks ago I fell down the companionway steps carrying my bike.

Not to worry the bike is fine, but I fell really hard (really messed myself up) and punched a hole in the portion of the cabin sole that is the "lid" for the under floor storage in the galley. This is plywood with the plastic fake teak and holly veneer.

What's a good way to repair this? I was thinking of making up some epoxy, using an acid brush to saturate the punched out wood, covering both sides with plastic sheet, and clamping between two flat boards.

Is this a good approach? Anything better?

Sorry, no pics atm.

Sep 24, 2021
Beneteau 35s5 Telegraph hrbr Thetis Island
it would probably restore the structural integrity but I suspect it would remain quite visible.. but depends on the damage. Pic to follow?

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
A couple weeks ago I fell down the companionway steps
Is this a good approach? Anything better?
Guess the nuclear option would be to replace the damaged teak & holly veneered plywood with a new piece of plywood; however, it would likely not match the surrounding sole area.
Ironic that you mentioned falling down the steps; same thing happened to me 12 days ago. My shoes (topsiders) were wet & possibly had soap on them & the companionway steps were also wet. Instead of facing the risers while climbing down the steps, I descended facing the inside of cabin. Feet flew out from underneath me and I fell hitting my back on the risers, full force, & wound up on the cabin sole , also hitting my tail bone at some point. I laid on the floor for several minutes in severe pain. Was able to pick up & head home under my own power. Bruising & swelling is much better ; however, soreness & muscle pull still occurs with some movements. Ice has been my friend. All things considered, I was very fortunate to not break / fracture vertebrae or damage a disc. Take away is to always face risers when going up & down the ladder.....I knew better, but was in a rush, and my luck ran out!:banghead:Hope you’re on the road to recovery too.

Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
Guess the nuclear option would be to replace the damaged teak & holly veneered plywood with a new piece of plywood; however, it would likely not match the surrounding sole area.
Ironic that you mentioned falling down the steps; same thing happened to me 12 days ago. My shoes (topsiders) were wet & possibly had soap on them & the companionway steps were also wet. Instead of facing the risers while climbing down the steps, I descended facing the inside of cabin. Feet flew out from underneath me and I fell hitting my back on the risers, full force, & wound up on the cabin sole , also hitting my tail bone at some point. I laid on the floor for several minutes in severe pain. Was able to pick up & head home under my own power. Bruising & swelling is much better ; however, soreness & muscle pull still occurs with some movements. Ice has been my friend. All things considered, I was very fortunate to not break / fracture vertebrae or damage a disc. Take away is to always face risers when going up & down the ladder.....I knew better, but was in a rush, and my luck ran out!:banghead:Hope you’re on the road to recovery too.
same, but carrying my folded up bike. Surprised I didn't break my hip. SEVERE bruising to the bone and ego lol

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
2005 Hunter 33 Lake Lewisville, TX
Hunter calls the flooring "Everwear Laminate Sole"

I can't find anything by googling those words. The only product I've found that sounds similar is: Marinelam-flooring | World Panel Products, Inc.

I haven't purchased any. Flooring is way down my project list. They might send a sample or off-cut if you ask nicely.

KBG

• Helpful
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Companionway steps fall story:
Nearly 2 decades ago during spring commissioning I climbed down the companionway, facing the right way, forgetting that I had the hatch off the bilge thru hull compartment at the bottom of the steps. I stepped into the compartment, twisted 180 degrees and fell onto the cabin sole narrowly missing cracking my skull on the galley furniture (Corian).
After an interlude of pain management, including deep breathing, I was able to leave the boat.
It was years before the tendons in my foot were OK. Maybe a decade. I'm still not sure if I stressed the ankle in the wrong way all the swelling and tenderness wouldn't come back.
In short, be careful out there. And I only fell one step. Imagine falling through the companionway from the deck. Keep those companionway hoods closed when crew is working on deck!

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Imagine falling through the companionway from the deck. Keep those companionway hoods closed when crew is working on deck!
I saw a very drunk guy fall from the companionway to the cabin floor on his Catalina 22. He pretended like we didn't see it happen