Repainting the engine bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 7, 2006
- - Grand Prairie, Tx. Joe Pool Lake
Well I have finally had the old 2qm15 pulled to make room for a brand new Yanmar YM15, I would like to clean up and paint everything before installing the new engine. I am looking for ideas on what types of cleaners to use, and what type of paint to repaint with... any ideas?

Paul Z

May 17, 2004
Macgregor 24 Oregon City, OR
After all..

the crap I learned in High School..." Sorry, that has just been running through my mind. I would consider the two part bathtub paint from Home Depot. Two part epoxy kit come with cleaner and even a roller.. price is lower than Marine of course and the stuff is tougher than hell. Also; if MEK or Acetone won't touch it as has been my experience; Nothing in your engine room is going to hurt it. Wear a Mask!

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
What I can recommend from experience

is limited by the regionally available brands. Having said that if you can get Sherwin-williams Industrial machinery enamel that would be my first choice. That is VOC compliant and so is nice to use in small spaces but use a fan. Go to you local company paint stores and look for industrial enamel such as is used for outdoor structures, tanks, chemical plants, bridges, fire escapes etc. Some of the ZEP brand cleaners are very effective when applied with some elbow grease. Again the paint dealer can recommend what is best in your area.

N

NiceNEasy

My .02

I have no problem with either of the previously listed paints. Along the same lines, HD/Lowes handles some one part urethanes that should do a good job for you. My only problem with the bathtub epoxy is the respirator part. One of the little fiber dust masks won't work for that stuff, you need the real deal. I have done some tubs with this stuff, and it is BAD for breathing.

Aug 7, 2006
thanks for all the quick relies...

one of the issues I have is the need to be environmentaly responsible here... I think if I can scrape it down without using too much water (that I would have to do somthing with...) I can just cover the areas with a good paint. A co_work had suggested Kilz as a primer before the final coat.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Daves 299 Please stop listening to your

co-workers and go to a brand name paint dealer/company store and talk to them about your project. They must go to seminars two or three times each year to keep up with the changes in paint technology. Your friend may have found a system that was very good 3 or 4 years ago but this business of chemicals and coating is moving faster than you can imagine. Fifteen years ago I painted my kitchen cabinets with the best aklyd enamel that I could find and they still look great. This week I painted kitchen cabinets for a customer with an acrylic/Urethane enamel that I have also used elsewhere that is superior to the Alkyd enamel that I used fifteen years ago. This Acrylic/Urethane enamel is a direct to metal, self priming paint for exterior or interior use and is immune to softening by fats and oils.

Aug 7, 2006
Thanks for all you advice...

I will seek advice at a paint store.

Status
Not open for further replies.