Removing Windlass on Hunter 36

May 7, 2011
Hunter 36 San Francisco, CA
My 2006 Hunter 36 has a Sprint Atlantic Gipsy/Drum that has locked up. I can remove the drum and gipsy, but after that its not obvious how to get the base plate off of the deck.

Does it have to be removed from below? If so, any suggestions on how to access the thing? The forward cabin doesn't have an access panel, and there's no access to it from the chain locker.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Screws

You need to take the wood up in the vee berth apart by taking the screws
out of the L shape part of the wood and make sure you take all the screws
out along the corner molding and it the wood panels will come down and than
you can see the 4 bolts holding the windless onto the fiberglass platform and it has some kind of sealer helping to seal it.
Mark the wiring where they go and do you have the manual if not look up
on the internet.
Did you take the 2 screws on top and than the bolt under the drum than try lifting the shaft out but maybe frozen to bearing and when you do get it out look up repair guy to repair it.
Nick

May 7, 2011
Hunter 36 San Francisco, CA
Nick, thanks for the guidance. Thought that was the approach, but wanted to check before I got elbows deep. I was able to fully disassemble the above deck mechanical. Shaft would not budge in any direction. I'll post pics of the process in the recent it helps someone else.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Repair

I did have a service guy replace the bearing and seal for me here in Florida and took the whole thing to him and he said many times because of salt water
getting down into the bearing and than freezing the bearing and can't get it apart but I have been able to pull the shaft up to add grease over the years
and so it was easy replacing the bearing and seal.
This reminds me I should grease it now before it gets salt water on the bearing and than freeze.
Some times there is a clip on the bottom keeping it from lifting up but when
I did mine no such clip.
Nick