Removing the rudder on my 1986 28 Oday

Apr 25, 2013
Oday 28 Toledo Beach
Hello there! A long time ago we removed the rudder from my 28' Oday, but I really don't remember how we did it. I remember there is a large pin going through the rudder stock, that needs to come out. However, I can't remember the involvement (if there is any) with the Quadrant. Undoing those cables under the quadrant seems like a can of worms and I don't remember really messing with that part too much. Seems like they would never go back again LOL!

Last time we dug a hole but this time it will be hanging in the sling at haul-out over the weekend so we can get it out without all of that digging. I've read a few posts here about other Oday's but wondered if anyone had experience specifically with the Oday 28. I know it's heavy and once everything is all 'ready' it will come out fast and we will have a solution for it so it does not come crashing down. (Tips on this part are also welcome)

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Not the same boat but basically the same: You need to loosen the steering cables but don't remove the nuts (yellow), loosen the bolts that hold the quadrant halves together (red) and remove the pin that goes through the center of the rudder stock (green). On mine, the center pin SS that was really frozen, had to press it out.
o35_quadrant.jpg

Apr 25, 2013
Oday 28 Toledo Beach
Wow, love the circles very helpful!! Thank you so much!
This sounds like what I did before, I saw others removed the whole quadrant and I totally know we did not do that; this is what we did! Thank you!!
Amy

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Amy
There are different designs but generally all follow a similar structure as explained by @dmax .
I would encourage you to post a picture of your specific quadrant so that the sailors here can share ideas on your specific quadrant and rudder assembly.

Yes you will need a big catchers mitt or a strong person (maybe 2) to lift up on the rudder so that the pin can be removed, and then slow the fall of the rudder as it attempts to leave the boat.

Apr 25, 2013
Oday 28 Toledo Beach
Ok thank you, I do remember it has to be stabilized to slow the fall for sure. Unfortunately it's coming out tomorrow, I will try and get a pic later this afternoon, but everything that @dmax mentioned does sound very familiar to me. Will try for a pic :) Thank you!

Apr 25, 2013
Oday 28 Toledo Beach
Here is my quadrant :) Looks the same as @dmax posted. Funny thing about the Oday 28 it got all of most of the same parts as the larger Oday's ... that is lucky :)

quadrant.jpeg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Looks good. Might put some Krill oil or PBBlaster on the nuts. Let it soak. Might help to ease their removal.

Apr 25, 2013
Oday 28 Toledo Beach
@jssailem Oh good call will do that now... it can sit all night and then haul out is at 2 tomorrow after that we will drop it! Will keep ya posted! Appreciate the help!

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2013
Oday 28 Toledo Beach
Rudder came out super easy! We marked on the quadrant exactly where to re-align it back up in the spring and just loosened the bolts as per @dmax pic showed. The main pin was not hard at all to remove after taking pressure of the rudder.

Doing it hanging in the sling was SO much better then the last time when I had to do the hole digging! I think we had it safely out in about 20 mins. (putting it back in I know is more of a puzzle lol, I totally remember that!) I appreciate all of your help! :)