Removing Painted-on Name

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Greg Castleberry

Hey List, I have been a long-time lurker and have gained much valuable info during that time. I now have a specific question that needs an answer..... What is the best way to remove a painted-on name without damaging the gelcoat? Thanks in advance. Greg Castleberry sv Into the Light Beneteau 411

C

Charlie Gruetzner - BeneteauOwners.net

Oh Boy

Greg, the first question is Do you know what type of paint it is? Some soft paints can come off rather easily while a hard paint such as polyurethane can be really tough. The first thing to try is a mild abrasive. Believe it or not start with toothpaste. If it is a soft paint it will probably take off the paint and not damage the gelcoat. Put the toothpaste on a high speed polisher or buffer with a sheepskin cover. Keep the surface moist (not wet) while doing it. If that doesn't work, try a rubbing compound. They usually come in different grits - fine, medium and coarse. Again using the buffing machine. There are also some strippers specifically for fiberglass surfaces but you need to be VERY careful since even some mild stripper will distort the gelcoat. I hope this helps Charlie

D

Dr. Robert A. Brown

Oven Cleaner

Several of my power boat friends have successfully used ordinary oven cleaner to remove painted-on boat names. Try a bit on a hidden part of the gel coat first to determine how long you can leave it on without harm.

K

Kathy

Oven Cleaner!!

I used oven cleaner (Easy-Off) last year and it worked great. It did leave a bit of a yellowish haze right after I was done but that was gone by the next day.

Status
Not open for further replies.