Removing Old Name

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 10, 2004
- - Bayfield WI
I would appreciate advice on technique to remove the old painted name before I place a new decal on our 376. The name is 8 years old and fading.

Jun 7, 2004
- - Long Beach, CA
Is the boat Coast Guard documented?

If you are not changing the name and she is not Coast Guard documented, ignore this. If so, you have to complete forms with the Coast Gaurd. If you have a lender, they have to sign a release. This all is costing me about $200.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Easy-Off oven cleaner.

Mark: Yes, I said "Easy-off Oven Cleaner". You need to find a nice warm day (cannot pre-heat the oven) to work best. Spray it on and let it sit for 10 min. (about enough time to sip your first beer). Then get a medium stiff brush and scrub. This sometimes takes 2-3 applications (2-3 beers). When all of the paint is removed you may notice a yellow cast in the gel coat as well as a raised area. It is usually best to let the area age in the sun, but that is not necessary. Before you apply the vinyl, be sure to wax and clean the entire area. Actually a good cleaning with something like the Island Girl Pink would be good at this time.

T

Tammy

We used oven cleaner & 220 wet/dry sandpaper

We started out with a green scrubby(scotchbrite pad) but switched to wet/dry sandpaper as the scrubby was taking too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.