Removing Furlex for forestay inspection

chp

Sep 13, 2010
Hunter 280 hamilton
I would like to know if anyone has disassembled their Furlex furler to inspect their forestay. I've had my boat for a couple of years now and with the furler you cannot inspect the forestay. Looking over the manual, looks like you have to remove the lower forestay eye to remove the cable from the foil.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Only way to inspect a forestay is to remove the furler. Need to use a halyard (or two) to serve as your forestay. Then with care, free the forestay and slide the furler drum and furler extrusion off supporting it along the way so it does not kink. It is a couple of friends job. And a long dock to lay it down on. Be sure to go up the mast and inspect the swaged fitting to the mast for cracks, rust, damaged cable strands etc. the extrusion will have joints. Here is an exploded view of the parts on the model 50S

IMG_5714.jpeg

Here is a link to the Selden Site if you have a different furler.

chp

Sep 13, 2010
Hunter 280 hamilton
Fortunately the mast is down for the winter so no climbing around. I have the manual which looks like the bottom eye fitting has to be removed to slide the forestay out of the luff extrusion. According to the manual you have to remove the terminal, remove the wedge which locks the wire into the furler and cut approximately 5mm of the loose strands. This of course will shorten the stay slightly which is not a problem since I have a turnbuckle. Just wondering if anyone has done this. The part I'm talking about is part 15 in the diagram.