Removing Fischer Panda 8 Mini-DP from Hunter 45CC

Bogart

Mar 13, 2018
Hunter 45CC Queensland
Hi all

Seems we have a head gasket problem on our FP generator which will necessitate the removal of the unit from the boat, as there is insufficient room to carry out work while it is in situ. Looking for tips about how best to get the generator out of the boat without totally dismantling the engine/generator box structure. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
The gen set was installed before the floor was put down so you are going to have to either take apart the gen set or the boat. Might I suggest that it be the gen set, as you probably should not reinstall that or any other FP. Ever since they came on the market, there isn't any other gen set that has more problems and breakdowns. There are usually several in nooks and crannies of at least one repair shop on every island in the Caribbean.
Were it my boat, I would fill the space the gen set took up with good LifePo batteries and add a good (not a cheap one) wind gen and as many solar panels as you can fit on the boat.

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
2005 Hunter 33 Lake Lewisville, TX
Pictures would help. The genset should have a lift point (a ring?) on top that can carry the weight of the unit. If not, use rope to build a cradle around the unit. Get a ratcheting chain hoist (Harbor Freight has several models) and set up some temporary scaffolds. Get a furniture dolly to make moving the set to the companionway easier. Once under the companionway, use the boom to lift the genset topside. Support the boom with a halyard or topping lift close by the lifting point. The boom can also be used to swing the genset to the dock once clear of the companion way. I hauled the genset out of a Hunter 38 using this method. Use lots of cardboard and 1/8" plywood to protect the finish on the interior woodwork. The first few pictures show the scaffold and blocks and tackle. The block and tackle was not effective, so I switched to a chain hoist. Think it through and it's not a difficult job. Just be methodical.
IMG_0895.JPG

IMG_0896.JPG

IMG_0899.JPG

IMG_0900.JPG

Bogart

Mar 13, 2018
Hunter 45CC Queensland
Thanks for your replies. Here are a couple of pictures. You will see that the genset is installed (it is a Hunter factory install) under the companionway. So it is not just a case of lifting it up, it has to come forward about 70cm first. Are there no other 45CC owners out there who have done this?

Cheers, Tony

Attachments

Jun 14, 2007
Hunter 45cc Florida
I have the same boat and did remove the generator. It was actually not that hard. Unbolt the generator and leave the frame attached to deck. I built a table that was the same height as the generator and with 2 people slide the generator on top of the table until it would clear the companionway and then you can either use the boom to lift or in my case I had a crane take it all the way out. I had many problems with the generator and did not replace it. I purchased a new Nex Gen 5.5 and am very happy.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I have a Nex Gen 5.5 and am happy with it too. When you have to start it from cold it sometimes takes a few starts but the manual says that. It is very reliable.

Bogart

Mar 13, 2018
Hunter 45CC Queensland
Hi all
Thanks for your input. I’ll report back in due course.
Cheers