Removing Deck Dining Table

May 2, 2019
Hunter 38 Annapolis, MD
I'm thinking of removing the deck dining table. It takes up a lot of space and gets in our way most of the time.

Anyone removed one before? It appears to be just a handful of bolts. However, is there a cap to or a method to plug up the holes where the bolts are removed so that it doesn't become a hazard? Pictures attached..

Attachments

May 2, 2019
Hunter 38 Annapolis, MD
I haven't removed the table just yet. I assume that the bolts once removed if not sealed back correctly can cause a leak into the cabin?

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
That's not just a table, it's a hand hold and a foot rest, both very handy on a heel. But after all it's your boat.

Feb 10, 2017
Hunter 41 Progreso
yes i think is a ver bad error unless you never sail, in bad weather is a good place to lock you inn

May 2, 2019
Hunter 38 Annapolis, MD
In bad weather I'll tether myself in and it wouldn't be the table that's for certain. I've sailed the boat and keeled and never used the table. Never used as a foot rest or dinning for that matter. In fact this table is more of a problem than helping.

I'm all about safety and this table design should have been moved elsewhere. Where I don't know. But walking around a table jumping like monkey is not for me. Take 4-5 friends on and everyone is hopping like snap n pops from the 70s.

I went out and purchased 4200 and plan to take the table out. Anyone need a table? It's in brand new perfect condition. And thank you everyone for suggestions and comments. All taken and appreciated!

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Just remove the screws and coat the holes with epoxy. Finish the job by toping the holes with gel coat.
I agree with Benny on this. I removed something that was bolted through the cockpit sole on my C36 ( a steering control bracket). I just put the carriage bolts back in with some sealer. I cursed those every time I stepped on them barefoot!

You can just put a piece of masking tape on the bottom of the hole, and dribble some five minute epoxy into the hole 'til it's almost level. When it's hard, finish with some gel coat. Cover with saran wrap 'til it cures (gel coat cures in the absence of oxygen). You'll have nice, white, nondescript spots where the holes were.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I haven't removed the table just yet
You might want keep it.

That is a Grab Bar and place to hook a life line tether. Safety is high seas and a place to grab when standing up in the cockpit.

The dinning table fold out is just a "add on" combination.
Jim...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
There should be an access panel below to those "bolts", normally over the aft berth.
Since they are isolated from the boat grounding system, one of the few metal parts you can hold on too, in a storm, that has some lightning.
Jim...

May 2, 2019
Hunter 38 Annapolis, MD
If you ever sell the boat, it will be a deterrent to sell the boat.
@Crazy Dave Condon - If I remove the table I wouldn't sell it. I'd store it and replace it back if I decided to sell.
I've owned a much larger sailboat in the past and I didn't have a table sitting right at the companion way door area. If you look at other sailboats you will see that not everyone has a table dead center or better yet as soon as you walk out of the cabin or going down below. There are many methods to stabilize yourself in the event of a storm. There are currently 3 people full-time on the boat at this current time for the next couple months and it's becoming a headache.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I was just making a comment but everyone is different as to how they want their boat to be provisioned which I respect. I am grateful for your response also advising you are keeping it. Take care and have fun. I am a trite sailboat dealer

May 2, 2019
Hunter 38 Annapolis, MD
Good one guys! :) I plan to keep the table close by in the event I see that it is needed and that you all are right. ;)