Removing and Replacing Hull Liner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 22, 2005
- - Olympia, WA
Hello Rangers, My '77 R-33 came with the hull (side walls)covered with some kind of foam covered with cloth. The foam has turned to a powder and the cloth is unsightly and filthy no matter what I do. Does this sound familiar? So, I intend on removing the cloth and the powder, and then wash the hull with a solvent of some kind, then scrape off what is left of the original adhesive. Then paint the hull with an enamel paint. So, my questions to you all: what do you recommend that I use for a solvent? What do you recommend that I use for a paint? Have you done this? And, what are your thoughts on the need for insulating the hull and perhaps paneling it (yellow cedar would look nice). Any other hull covering options? I'm all ears...

Jul 9, 2004
Yamaha 30 - Sidney
What I did was .....

Hello Captain, I've got a '75 Ranger 28. When I bought it, the walls were covered with a cream/beige burlap/heavy weave canvas foam backed kind of cloth which I assume is similar to yours. Different than the foam backed vinyl overhead headliner. Anyway, I've removed both as there was some serious leakage that I had to deal with and all the interior fabrics were a mess. My original intention was to replace them all, and decided to paint the interior as a temporary measure till the leaks etc got fixed. I used a standard kitchen/bathroom semi gloss latex, used maybe half a liter? Was easy to achieve a colour that was almost an identical match to the interior hard surface colours. As far as cleanup of the former foam residue, I tried some acetone, some contact glue remover, and .... I forget the other chemical. However, I achieved the best results with a wire wheel on my cordless drill. (Yes I was fully masked for all the various attempts!) Did not achieve a perfectly flat surface, but then I have shelving units that go in so it's not visually critical and the results were quite acceptable. Bottom line? I'm more than happy with the painting and it's durability.(entering 3rd year now?) Will not re-do the sidewalls with fabric, though eventually intend to redo the overhead liner. Not for insulation value (cored deck so insulation unnecessary)but because I'm tired of scraping my poor old bald head on the hard surface! A word of note here: I've tried to find the foam backed vinyl here in Victoria, but the marine upholsterer tells me he can no longer get that fabric, so I may end up with something quite different. FWIW though, here's a link to some folks in Tampa that do sell the original headliner. http://www.garysupholstery.com/ Hope that helps. Cheers, Craig

Feb 22, 2005
- - Olympia, WA
latex paint on the hull inside

Craig, Thanks for the reply. I'll try the wire wheel on a drill trick. And, I'm happy to hear that latex paint on the inside of the hull actually sticks. I tried using an expensive polyurethane and it took forever to dry (like over a week even in a heated forepeak). I found a vinyl coated foam at a foam shop in Tacoma. They are called Industrial Rubber. The material comes in 60 inch wide sheets and in thicknesses from 1/4 to 2 inches. Spray adhesive will attach it. I'm thinking of using the wire wheel, followed by latex paint, and then foam. Any thoughts?

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
I don't have the problem of bumping

my bald head so I haven't upholstered the overhead in Bietzpadlin. I did paint with exterior semigloss acrylic house paint. I have a 4 1/2 inch right angle grinder so I just sanded off any rough spots and went to work with a brush. That was eight years ago and everything is still good. There has been so much improvement in paint techniology that if I were doing it today I would go to a manufacturers store and discribe the job I have and ask for recommendations for the paint choice.

Jul 9, 2004
Yamaha 30 - Sidney
latex & vinyl?

Hey Captain, Been a while since your reply, so you may have already done the task but .... If you're going to put in the vinyl/foam then why bother painting at all? I painted because I knew it would be a while before I got around to the headliner. (because of repairs, rewiring, hardware moving etc) Ross, as to the paint choice, I used the kitchen & bath latex because of the anit-fungal (mould) qualities inherent. Quick drying, very low odours, ease of application. Have had no problems so far. cheers all, Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.