Remove my OMC sail drive

Jun 12, 2018
Oday 28 Bridgeport CT
Hi, I am considering the removal of my OMC sail drive on my 1979 O'Day 28. Does anyone have interest in the direct motor? Has anyone done this before and do I NEED TO ADD BALLAST once removed? Any suggests on re-glassing the hole? All comments appreciated.robpowers326@gmail.com

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I might be interested in some of the parts. First things first make sure you can get the prop off. You'll probably need take the engine off before pulling the lower end out. Follow the proceedure in the service manual for a water pump replacement. There's a few tricks to working on this engine. You'll need a 12 point box wrench for the nut behind the throttle shaft (starboard side). I've tried every other tool and this is the most efficient method (yet still tedious) without pulling more stuff apart. I would highly recommend picking up a set of ratcheting wrenches. If you need some advise please feel free to reach out to me. I'd be happy to share what I've learned

Jun 12, 2018
Oday 28 Bridgeport CT
TY Appreciate the advice. I have someone locally who wants the whole engine so I will work with him to remove . Stand by in early October
Rob