Remote radio at helm

Apr 20, 2020
Catalina 309 92 South Haven, mi
Just purchased my 2007 last year. Boat came with a below deck VHF with a remote unit mounted on the helm pedestal. Had to replace the main VHF, but the for wiring from the old helm radio is not compatible with the new vhf. So, I purchased the compatible helm radio- I have not removed the old helm vhf wiring yet. Can't figure out how I can pull the new wiring up thru the bottom of the pedestal. Lots of wires running through the pedestal tubes...

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
For me, nothing good ever came from getting into the pedestal. But someone put the wires in. So somebody else should be able to get them out. I assume the new radio has some snap on or plug in terminals. That complicates it but you'll probably have to start at the helm.
I might have hung a handheld there at the helm and be done with it. I've never understood why VHF radios are installed down below where they are basically useless.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Attach the new wire to the existing wire with electrical tape and use the old wire to pull the new one down thru the pedestal. Will likely have to cut some cable ties to facilitate pulling the wire all the way to the location of the VHF inside the cabin. Could be worse, at least you have the old cable to help and don't have to start from scratch .

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
What brand is your new VHF? If it is Standard Horizon I did that mod before. With some planning it is manageable.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Ditto BigEasy..........!!

Replaced the old vhf radio, mic at the helm and associated cable last year. Unfortunately, the old cable between the cabn radio and helm was not compatible with the new vhf radio so had to pull its dedicated cable through. Be careful with the pedestal wire/cables as the pedestal is relatively congested. By the way, I was able to reuse the vhf antenna.

Jul 14, 2020
Hunter 33 Toronto
Thank you all for the suggestions, much appreciated
I am about to do the same on my Hunter 33. Did you have to get into the pedestal or where you able to pull it down with the old cable? The cable has quite a large connector on the end. I am concerned this will create some problems along the way. Did you cut this off to pull the new one through?

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
I cut my cable and resoldered it after I fished it through. SH actually suggests it and approves it in their manual. You have to be careful as the wires are very small. I would say go to radio shack for heat shrink but they don't exist anymore.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
I cut my cable and resoldered it after I fished it through. SH actually suggests it and approves it in their manual. You have to be careful as the wires are very small. I would say go to radio shack for heat shrink but they don't exist anymore.
DigiKey sells heat shrink, and they have both kinds, the regular and the glue impregnated stuff.