Remote Fuel Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Don Cameron

I'd like to put a remote fuel tank on my boat. Can anyone advise on how they have installed a tank on a 26D? I'm concerned about venting, grounding and running the fuel lines from the engine to the tank.

J

Jamie

I have one

I have a 26s with a remote 6.5 gal tank located in the rear storage area. The tank is a removeable one and just lays on the floor in the rear. I take it out when I have it on the trailer and whenever I sleep on it tp prevent the fumes from coming in the boat. The line runs from the motor through a weather proof fitting in the motor well. It works pretty well. I have also seen a couple people install inake and exhaust cowling to get circulation in that storage area which I am sure makes it a lot nicer. It shouldn't be a really challenging project to get that tank installed. Where do you sail?

D

dan

vent....Vent...VENT !

Don...... Gas fumes are heavier than air and COLLECT in your bilge. Never put a gas tank inside without an AIRTIGHT inclosure(almost impossible) and two cowl vents. Highly recommend outside tanks at ALL costs. The smell alone will drive you outside to sleep with the BUGS ! Happy sailing....dan

D

Dave

Don: I have three six gallon fuel tanks in the rear storage area (I usually cruise with just two). When I purchsed my M26 new in '95 I had the dealer install intake and exhaust vents in the rear lazarret. Note: this is required by Coast Guard rules. The dealer also installed a sealed hole from the engine area into the lazarret. In the lazarret I installed plywood to the floor and fore and aft sides. This allowed me to store and secure more items in the rear compartment. I made brackets to secure all the fuel tanks. Things to remember is to take the fuel tanks out of the boat when fueling them. When the engine isn't being used make sure the fuel vents are closed. In the rear storage area I also store the propane bottles for my sea swing stove, lantern, and barbacue. Also a bottle of kerosene for my anchor light. Good Luck - Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.