Relocating the traveler from mid-cockpit

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
Has anyone considered and tried to relocate the traveler from the center of the cockpit to either the transom or cabin ends?

My wife is not "long legged" without the mobility of her youth and has difficulty stepping over the traveler quickly. Although we take part in Beer Cans and local regattas, we are not die-hard racers (although I do get real serious about the start), just day sailors who enjoy honing our skills.

The new mainsail (Ullman) is loose footed so the points of force would change if it was moved to the cabin end.

This year I installed a new Harken traveler with the controls all on the single assembly. I was thinking that if it had some kind of quick release bracket, it could be moved to either location depending on the need.

Any thoughts?

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
The 2001 C22 that cruised the San Juans with us this summer had a stern mounted traveler. It was about half the length of ours and he doesn't use it. IMO you *could* mount one back there. I think you're going to need to lengthen your sheets by quite a bit if you do though.

Despite the bashed up shins I like the fact that I can sit mid-cockpit and use the traveler and sheet. Seems to balance the boat better and it's perfect for single-handing. Personally I don't think I'd like it that far back.

Jan 22, 2008
I have no difficulty myself with the mid-cockpit position. But my wife complains (often with just "the look") when ever we need to change positions quickly. She does not use the tiller extender either. Since she is the one I want to sail with, I will consider options.

Cabin side would be nice since it would be out of the way for most activities but the forces on the boom will change. Might be an issue with heavier winds since the force of the main sheet on the boom would move to the center with the two ends having the other opposite forces.

Let me think about a stern mounted one. Lengthening the sheet is not a problem. But where to mount it so it doesn't interfere with anything else? I think I remember reading that the early non-racing version did not have a traveler.

I would also like the option to change the location quickly - using a quick-connect bracket of sorts. That would resolve the dilemma of wanting it in two places at once.

Definitely a project to work on over the winter...

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 http://www.chelseayacht.org
Ahoy;

The solution may be to remove the traveler altogether. My budget boat which did not have an internal outhaul, cabin top winches, or a traveler. Mainsheet goes right to the cockpit floor in the center. If you are a racer, then the traveler is needed at times.

Hershey

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
If the older Cp22 was like the Cp18's I've seen, then the non-traveler version had the sheet mounted on the starboard backstay fastener. Not sure exactly how it comes together, but I'm pretty sure you lose the adustable backstay.

Mine has some screws on the deck under the traveler that suggest that maybe it originally had the sheet mounted there, but it might have been something else that Mike tried and later abandoned.

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 http://www.chelseayacht.org
Mine may be classified as an older Capri (1988). As I said, there is no traveler on my boat... The main sheet goes straight down to the blocks mounted right on the cockpit floor. If I remember my camera tonight, I will take a photo. I might put a traveler on as a winter project.

Some Catalina 22's have an arrangement across the life rails at the stern of the he boats. This includes a traveler of some kind.

Hershey

Jul 13, 2011
Capri 22 MK1 659 Canandaigua Lake
Here's a clever idea from a Tanzer 22 sailor. He put his traveler on a set of fore-and-aft t-tracks so he could move it to the front of the cockpit when cruising and back to the standard position when racing. I clipped this from the T-22 website:

MAIN SHEET FORE-AFT TRAVELLER

Rudi J. Harbauer, Freeport, N.Y., no. 1170.

In seconds, your T22 can be converted from a cruiser to a racer without losing either performance or convenience.

On a beautiful day this spring, I singlehanded in the Atlantic Ocean off Long Island. There was a Steady 8-10 Knot breeze . . . just perfect for a spinnaker run. I don't have to tell anyone who sets a spinnaker alone, the type of work involved. I got it flying okay - but climbing over the traveller constantly was too much. I considered elimination of it altogether, but hesitated since I race the boat a lot. This problem had to be solved another way.

First came the consolidation of all movable parts onto the traveller horse. Second was the installation of two pieces of 1-inch track from cockpit locker to companionway. Third, 2 pole eyes (1-inch) were welded on a bronze plate and fastened to the traveller horse. Fourth, an additional track on the underside of the boom with a pole eye allowed the mainsheet to be moved.

After 6 months of cruising-racing, as well as single-handing, I can report that we are a happy sailing family. It works just great!

Attachments

Jan 22, 2008
Rightbrainer said:
Here's a clever idea from a Tanzer 22 sailor. He put his traveler on a set of fore-and-aft t-tracks so he could move it to the front of the cockpit when cruising and back to the standard position when racing. I clipped this from the T-22 website:

MAIN SHEET FORE-AFT TRAVELLER

Rudi J. Harbauer, Freeport, N.Y., no. 1170.

In seconds, your T22 can be converted from a cruiser to a racer without losing either performance or convenience.

On a beautiful day this spring, I singlehanded in the Atlantic Ocean off Long Island. There was a Steady 8-10 Knot breeze . . . just perfect for a spinnaker run. I don't have to tell anyone who sets a spinnaker alone, the type of work involved. I got it flying okay - but climbing over the traveller constantly was too much. I considered elimination of it altogether, but hesitated since I race the boat a lot. This problem had to be solved another way.

First came the consolidation of all movable parts onto the traveller horse. Second was the installation of two pieces of 1-inch track from cockpit locker to companionway. Third, 2 pole eyes (1-inch) were welded on a bronze plate and fastened to the traveller horse. Fourth, an additional track on the underside of the boom with a pole eye allowed the mainsheet to be moved.

After 6 months of cruising-racing, as well as single-handing, I can report that we are a happy sailing family. It works just great!
That's my solution!

I replaced the original traveler this season with a new Harken bar and 22 mm End Controls with the built-in cam cleat. AND I already have two 2-ft long pieces of new 1" T-track. The only thing missing is a way to connect the traveler bar to the track. that should not be too difficult. A winter project that will be a delight to use next season!

Thank you, RightBrainer from another...

Jan 22, 2008
I finally got a chance to look at the dimensions for relocating the traveler.

Using tracks to slide the traveler forward to the cabin would need 48" tracks. It would also mean the mainsheet attachment would be moved to mid-boom. A good idea in thought, but not so effective in execution.

Moving it back to to the stern is the best since the non-racing version uses that configuration. I would like to have a quick disconnect for the mid-cockpit position so that I can relocate the traveler when my wife sails with me. Most of the time the mid-cockpit position is fine.

The Harken traveler with the integral cam cleats lends itself to be reposition-able if only there was a quick release for each position mid- and rear- cockpit.

Reality will probably dictate that the traveler will remain as is came from the factory. But we can toss about various ideas in understanding why things are they way they are...

Jul 13, 2011
Capri 22 MK1 659 Canandaigua Lake
You really don't need the continuous adjustment from a 48" track. You could put a small section of track in the normal position and another one in the cruising position.

Jan 22, 2008
If I procrastinate long enough, my wife will "adjust" to the traveler as is.

The partial tracks solution resembles my idea for a quick-release mechanism. I would like a quick-release mechanism and alternatively move the traveler to the stern to avoid changing the location of the mainsheet force from the end of the boom to the middle.

If placing the traveler at the stern, it would have to be high enough to allow the tiller to move up to remove the rudder.

I did just install the Tiller-Clutch at Matt's suggestion. I tried it last weekend while sailing alone. It was located too far from the tiller end (in the same place as the Tiller-Tamer was located to use at least one of the screw holes) so it was difficult to reach when alone. I relocated it near the tiller gripping end and reinstalled the Tiller-Tamer since the holes were already there.

I have the option of using a variable friction controller or a on-off clutch. I was used to putting some friction to reduce the tiller movement yet still be able to quickly adjust the tiller with a slight pressure.