Relocating and recharging Cold Machine

Dec 21, 2020
Catalina 310 Lake Hefner
I’m our new to us 2004 C310, the fridge was not working. I could hardly get my phone back there to even take a picture of what I was dealing with. No way to really diagnose the unit so I tried to disconnect the lines and take it out. The larger suction line fitting came apart fine, but the smaller line would not. I ended up cutting it off.
I got three of the four lag screws securing the unit out but had to Sawsall the back one off.
On the bench, I tested the unit and it wouldn’t power up. Bypassed the T Stat and it powered up after what seemed like a 3-5 second delay while it was”Thinking”. Ordered new Danfoss T Stat from Supply House for $40 vs over $100 from BOAT supply stores.
Here’s the questions:
1. Location. I’m thinking the starboard settee next to the head is the best location. I’m open to other suggestions.
I have 2x4D batteries that are about 3 years old that are taking up all the space there. I’d change to T 105’s or 4x27’s as I had on my last boat. That should free up the end of the battery compartment for the Cold Machine compressor unit. I’d install vents in end and front of settee.
2. Space is very tight in this boat. I’m my last, I had about a 3 cu ft freezer that spilled over into a 4.5 top and side loading fridge. I installed an Isotherm with a large wrap around evaporator plate that was about 14” x 42” bent into a U. Loved it.
has anyone done the same by taking over the “Dry Storage” compartment? If so, what issues did you encounter?
Would the Cold Machine and large vertically evaporator work as well as the Isotherm? Or “Well enough” to freeze food for two weeks?
While not planned, I would like to be able to “Load and Go” to the Bahamas if the opportunity arises. First post and thanks for the input.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I believe you are talking about the port side settee for the location of the compressor. Might not be a good idea to have an electrical appliance in the battery compartment, since the batts produce hydrogen. The refrigerant lines would have to run aft to the aft cabin, across the boat and then forward to the fridge. The starboard settee would be a better option. It is empty and right next to the fridge. But having the compressor inside the saloon presents issues. Noise will be a problem, and even with proper ventilation, the condenser will add heat to the interior.
The original location of the compressor seems to work well for us. Lots of fresh air and no noise in the saloon, and our 18 year old unit still works!

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
Get four 6VDC golf cart batteries. There are a couple of threads here on installation. You will get more Amp hours than you can from the 4Ds. Hardest part is getting the 4Ds out of, and off, the boat. They are rather heavy.

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
I had to replace ours 3 years ago and found that the shelf where the old unit was is the best. before installing the unit I looked at other locations and by placing the new unit for size and easy of installation. I don't know if you have a pcv pipe for the tubing run on your 310 you may want to check.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
My AC is installed in the bow of the boat under the berth access panel. Noise seems acceptable to us but we don't sleep on boat. Do Not install anything in the battery compartment, one of my GC just blew up and I can only imagine the issues with having any part of the AC system in there.

Dec 21, 2020
Catalina 310 Lake Hefner
Thanks for the replies. I don’t see how the shelf in the back works. There was no access to the unit back there.

swapping out the 4 D’s is in the plan. I don’t like them and don’t understand why anyone would use them. I may have to hire someone to take them out. That would free up space.
As noted, separating the batteries from the fridge compressor is a must. Should be no problem building a partition in the port settee between the batteries and small space for the fridge compressor.
There is access under the salon floor between the box and settee. Should be no problem running the lines.
No one has commented on if the Cold Machine would freeze a spill over system connecting the old dry box and current fridge compartment.
Anyone tried that conversion to increase freezer and fridge capacity???

Dec 21, 2020
Catalina 310 Lake Hefner
My AC is installed in the bow of the boat under the berth access panel. Noise seems acceptable to us but we don't sleep on boat. Do Not install anything in the battery compartment, one of my GC just blew up and I can only imagine the issues with having any part of the AC system in there.
My AC compressor is under the V berth as well. It needs a charge but other than that it works fine and the location provides access and doesn’t take up any usable space.

Dec 21, 2020
Catalina 310 Lake Hefner
I had to replace ours 3 years ago and found that the shelf where the old unit was is the best. before installing the unit I looked at other locations and by placing the new unit for size and easy of installation. I don't know if you have a pcv pipe for the tubing run on your 310 you may want to check.
Yes, we have a conduit, but I can’t access the unit to service it in the back. Maybe I’m too old to or too big, but that spot doesn’t work for me.

Dec 21, 2020
Catalina 310 Lake Hefner
Get four 6VDC golf cart batteries. There are a couple of threads here on installation. You will get more Amp hours than you can from the 4Ds. Hardest part is getting the 4Ds out of, and off, the boat. They are rather heavy.
Yes, great idea. I may have to make a ramp to slide them up and out of the salon.

Dec 21, 2020
Catalina 310 Lake Hefner
I believe you are talking about the port side settee for the location of the compressor. Might not be a good idea to have an electrical appliance in the battery compartment, since the batts produce hydrogen. The refrigerant lines would have to run aft to the aft cabin, across the boat and then forward to the fridge. The starboard settee would be a better option. It is empty and right next to the fridge. But having the compressor inside the saloon presents issues. Noise will be a problem, and even with proper ventilation, the condenser will add heat to the interior.
The original location of the compressor seems to work well for us. Lots of fresh air and no noise in the saloon, and our 18 year old unit still works!
I can run the lines under the salon floor. Glad your unit is still working. I’m hopeful I can re use the cold machine as it is.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Yes, great idea. I may have to make a ramp to slide them up and out of the salon.
I removed ours myself, at age 65. Not an easy job. Did it in small steps. Also be sure to cover the batteries with something so you don’t get acid on your hands, shirt, pants, etc. Replaced them with 4 GC batteries and a G24 in the port settee (SSD for starting). Also replaced all the big cables, added bus bats, and fused everything properly.