Releasing Chrome Centreboard Tube.

May 21, 2008
Alden Challenger Portland
Has anybody removed the chrome tube which passes through the saloon table from the bronze casting that carries the centreboard link arm,if so how are the two connected.I have shortened my saloon table and now wish to remove the top to re-fit the drop leaf sides.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Yes. The upper tube is threaded into the car on the cabintop and slides inside the lower tube. The lower tube is threaded into the bronze centerboard trunk on the keel. I shortened my table as well Philip. It was one of the first things I did when we bought the boat. A big improvement for us, it opened up the galley and saloon on each end.

I eventually changed my linkage and had the lower pipe brazed to the bronze trunk years ago. Be sure you use some sealant on the lower joint when you re assemble. Water can leak through it.

May 21, 2008
Alden Challenger Portland
Thanks Tom I thought you would know having modified your centreboard linkage,so I shall have to make a strap wrench to unscrew it without marking it.There are marks on it from somebodies previous attempts to shift it I guess.Congratulations on your latest cabin side restoration and repair,I wish my wood was half as good as yours,there were so many splits and areas of rot where the trim strip had been screwed on that I epoxied glass cloth to it and painted it white