Relay Replacement in 12v Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Scott Skillman

Having a relay failure in my 1988 Oceanis 350 which disabled my running lights, I temporarily moved the wires to an unused relay, called "comfort" After much searching I found a replacement relay made by Omron part number G2R-1A-E-DC12. Here is a link to the datasheet: http://oeiwcsnts1.omron.com/pdfcatal.nsf/PDFLookupByUniqueID/477EFE2251638D3286256D35004D2B76/$File/D20G2R0503.pdf?OpenElement Mouser electronics had them in stock for about $3.43 each. www.mouser.com part number 653-G2R-1A-E-DC12. I got an extra to have on hand. To remove the old relay, power down the 12v panel, remove heat sink, unhook 12 large gauge feed wires and top PCB. You must have a soldering iron and a disoldering tool that will remove solder from the terminals once it is molten. A suitable tool is mouser part number 384-1000for $6.00. Heat the solder, and place the solder sucker over the molten solder and press the button, repeat until all the solder is gone from the hole. Be Gentle, so as not to damage the PCB trace. Repeat the process on all the holes. Remove bad relay. Place new relay in hole, solder the 6 contacts and re-assemble. Move the wire back to the appropriate post if you temporarily used a different relay. Be sure and not let the wire from the device mounted to the heat sink lay over the wire wound circuit breakers as it will actuate the breaker intermittently.

Status
Not open for further replies.