Refrigerator thermostat wiring

danm1

Oct 5, 2013
Hunter 356 Mamaroneck, NY
I have the top loading Adler Barbour freezer and adjacent fridge on my Hunter 356. The freezer thermostat is frozen and won't adjust. I want to replace it with a digital STC 1000 if possible, but I don't understand the wiring
Can anyone identify the positive, negative or load by color in the attached pics? Are these all the wires I need? Thanks.

Attachments

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I have wired this same controller to my refrigerator and I have a second one to connect to my freezer. The wiring is simple.

The two wires on the original mechanical controller simply close the circuit to power the compressor to start cooling.
Here is a picture of the controller connections:
Thermostat connections.png

Simply connect the existing thermostat wires to terminals 7 & 8 (no polarity).

Connect the sensor to terminals 3 & 4 (no polarity). I placed the sensor in the same spot as the original temperature bulb so that the temperature of the plate will be controlled. This means that the temperature that is displayed is that of the plate and not the temperature of the box. You will have to experiment with the controller set-point to determine the setting to achieve the box temperature that you want. I used a differential setting of 4 on my refrigerator controller. That should be a good starting point for you.

Connect 12V power to terminals 1 & 2 (no polarity). I connected this power input to the compressor input power so that when I turned on the refrigerator the controller would power up as well.

There are no connections to terminals 5 & 6.

Easy-peasy. Good luck. It is a great upgrade.

danm1

Oct 5, 2013
Easy is relative. Are the green wire and the connection wrapped in red the "existing thermostat wires"? Are there 12v wires there or do I have to run them from somewhere else (the compressor)? If so, any trick to getting them thru into the back of the freezer without disassembling the boat?

Jun 17, 2022
Hunter 380 Comox BC
Your existing TStat is mechanical, not electronic, thus it does not have 12VDC input. Your new electronic TSTAT will not be located i the fridge/freezer. You'll need DC power from the compressor unit to the TSTAT, you'll need a temp sensor from the fridge/freezer to the TSTAT. And you'll need to redirect the two control wires from the old mechanical Tstat to the new digital one. Drill the fridge/freezer, pull the temp sensor, then seal with duct seal compound (grey putty available at home depot).

Did you review the manual and associated wiring diagram I posted above? It has several examples of electronic thermostat wiring....

Do you have the spillover fan option in your existing install? If so, you'll have to make sure that wiring is maintained.

Is there a resistor between the yellow wire and the red spade connector? Resistors are covered in the installation manual.... this may have been a modification by the previous owner, so you may have to assess your install prior to proceeding.

Why not just replace with a mechanical unit though? They are super reliable from a mechanical standpoint and relatively cheap.

Last edited:

danm1

Oct 5, 2013
I didn't realize the mechanical replacement was available for so little. I'll probably do that and go sailing. I haven't opened the spillover fan control . Is it the same part?

Apr 12, 2005
Hunter 37.5 Legend Catawba Island, Ohio
I added a computer fan, to circulate air and reduce frost build up. I also have a temperature sensor inside the box to make sure the box stays below 38 degrees