Refrigerator probelms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 8, 2008
Catalina 309 Stafford
Friends,
My fridge is acting up, I am getting 2 flashes on the red indicator light inside the fridge, which according to the Waeco manual means excessive current to the compressor fan. I'm looking for suggestions on fixing it. I know there has been some problems with this on other 309s. Appreciate any solutions.

Also interested in how to get the fridge out as it appears to be a very tight fit. Thanks

Charlie
SV Music Maker

Attachments

Mar 20, 2007
Catalina 355 Kilmarnock, VA
Try googling "Kollman Marine Refrigeration" - the guy who runs the site has a help forum, and has addressed this before, but he's also good about answering specific questions. The fridge is a b***h to get out. You have to remove the teak drawer and frame below it, then remove three screws from underneath, then saw out a small piece of the teak molding near the lower left side of the fridge. It should then slide out still attached to the wooden base, enough to detach the wiring from the rear and pull it completely free.

Jan 3, 2011
Catalina 309 Sarasota
Hi Charlie-

You might consider the incremental cost involved with fixing your Waeco vs getting a new Isotherm refrigerator. The Waecos don't have a good reputation. We replaced our Waeco with an Isotherm, and we were able to get the Isotherm at the Catalina cost. We were told that Catalina now installs Isotherms instead of Waecos on the 309. As to getting the Waeco out, it is tricky but do-able and certainly worth the effort given the Waeco unreliability. We relied on a skilled person to do the swap. Hope this helps. JG - PHOTON

Mar 20, 2007
JG -- Which model Isotherm did you get? Is it a direct physical replacement in the cabinetry? Did you get it directly from Catalina Yachts? How much (if you don't mind)?

Jan 3, 2011
Catalina 309 Sarasota
JG -- Which model Isotherm did you get? Is it a direct physical replacement in the cabinetry? Did you get it directly from Catalina Yachts? How much (if you don't mind)?
Hi John -

I'll post the exact model and price I paid when I can get my hands on the info (I am presently traveling). But it is an exact fit to space, and I recall the price being under $1K with the Catalina discount. We hired someone to get it and install it, and I will find out where they got the fridge and how they wangled the discount.

So, more details to forthcoming next week... - JG

Mar 20, 2007
Thanks - afraid I'm going to be headed down that road soon, too.

Mar 20, 2007
An update on my fridge that might be of use to others - my Waeco worked fine on shore power but wouldn't cool on 12 V. I checked the output of the external voltage converter (located in the cockpit sail locker) with a multimeter, and it appeared ok. Because there had been earlier reports of failures of these units, I decided to just replace it (they are available at Defender for about $60). Put in the new one yesterday, and the fridge now works perfectly. I'm not sure how to check this without actually replacing, but it's a lot cheaper than either a service call or a fridge replacement.

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
Good. That's the same problem these fridges have had all along...I'm glad to hear there isn't some new problem.

Jan 3, 2011
Catalina 309 Sarasota
Thanks - afraid I'm going to be headed down that road soon, too.
By way of update:

I replaced my Waeco with an Isotherm Indel 85 L. I was able to get it for $950, which I think represents a 20% discount from the retail price.

Status
Not open for further replies.