Refrigerator Operation

• Thread starter Gerry Libertelli
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gerry Libertelli

Hi All, All of a sudden, I've got a strange thing occuring with the refrigerator on my 380. Although Im not sure If I should be concerned or not. Most of the time, when I turn the refrigerator on, I notice a steady flow of water coming out of the thru hull. Lately, no water is flowing out of that thru hull (yes, the sea cocks are open), however the refrigerator contiues to operate as normal. The freezing unit operates fine, and cool air flows into the refrigerator section as normal. So, my question. Does water have to be continually flowing through the refrigeration unit for it to be working properly? TIA for your responses! Gerry

T

Tony Wilcox

Dual system

The unit is operating useing air as the means to remove heat, The water system does the same but does not put any heat into the boat, its dumped overboard. However if the breaker is put on and the seperate switch over the nav. table (next to night light) is in the on position and illuminated then the pump is possibly not working, could be due to a blockage on the intake for the pump, which in turn seized the pump up. Its not recomended to leave the boat unattended for extended periods with water cooling on. I presume its the same system as I have in a '97 376, Alder-Barbor which is dual for air nad water cooling. Tony Wilcox

K

ken

water thru hull

gerry I have a 410 same referigation system the water flows thru the hull when unit needs cooling . Im in a slip and have shore power and leave ref, on all the time, until winter . ken

P

Phil Rains

Treat the pump nicely...

I'm on my second pump in 4 years. I've been cautioned not to leave the pump on while in the marina and not to leave the pump on unattended. It's a very small motor that can easily burn out if it picks up any debris that would stop the flow of water. I find it better to run the pump during the day. Then when we go home for the week, I turn off the pump and open the panel to the condensor to allow the air to free flow and the heat to dissipate.

A

art eskowitz

cooling pump

I have had the same problem on my 376 I replaced the pum 4 times. finally I contacted hunter and they sent me a kit that converts the cooling system for the compressor to a air cooled system by adding another vent connected to the compressor by a duct. this has eliminated the problem completly.

J

John F

Water Cooling vs Air cooling for Refrige

We have a 1998 376 that has the dual cooling system for the refrigerator. I only use the water cooling system when we are on the hook. It is my understanding that the water cooling system is more efficient and draws fewer amps than the air cooled system. I use the air cooled system in the slip or when motoring when conserving amps is not an issue.

S

Scott

Off topic for Gerry

Gerry, We're planning a trip down your way this summer and I was wondering if you can tell me about getting from long Island sound to the Hudson. My charts have not arrived yet but I was wondering if the bridges along the east river are high enough for sailboat traffic? Thanks, Scott

G

Gerry Libertelli

Info for Scott, and resolution

Hi All, It was the pump. That measly little March pump just went on me. So I ordered a replacement from Grunert and my refrigerator is humming again. Thanks to all for helping me localize. Scott, please feel free to email me your float plan, and I will let you know where the problem points are. Rule of thumb in the East River is, go through Hell Gate as close to slack as you can, and avoid the shipping lane at all costs. Bridges are fine and tall enough for masts to 65 feet. There is one old walking bridge that raises and lowers but I have never seen it operational. It is always in the up position. It is a prett ride, but you have to stay sharp because of the traffic and the current. If you stop at Liberty Landing, please look us up! Im always there, and LL is a great transient stop because of it's view of NYC and proximity to Liberty State Park (behind the Statue of Liberty) Gerry s/v Persistence gerryl@ethigent.com

Status
Not open for further replies.