Reefing the main

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gregg

A few weeks ago, we went out to San Francisco Bay and sailed all day. It was great. We were getting over powered in the afternoon, and we tried to reef the main sail. I only have a roller reef. How the heck does that work? We reefed about 50% but the boom was on our heads the whole time. Did we do something wrong? Without a toping lift, how do I keep the boom from dropping down? I have the short clip bit that doesn't work when under way. I thought that a topping lift would do it, but I also thought that it would change the shape of the sil, and I would loose performance. HELP!!! *cry What can I do to keep the boom up? Thanks to all

M

mrbill2

guessing

From what I have read, the 25 had boom roller furling, which I hear sux. the idea is to pull the boom out then roll the sail around the boom while lowering the halyard. I would think a single or double line furling could be adapted with some mods. -archives, trailersailer.com or bob whites site, or the mac webring is where I would look.

R

Ramblin' Rod - Mac 26D - SeaQuell

A trick for roller reefing

Our prior boat had a roller reefing boom. We found that if you tuck a fold in the leech before you start rolling, you can get much better shape and keep the boom up. Practice in good conditions. We ended up going to dual line reefing whihc is vastly superior, but still, roller boom reefing can work well once you master it.

Status
Not open for further replies.