Reefing the 30

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ralph Theriault

On my 79 hunter 30 I have problems when reefing as the slugs must come out to reach the first reef point on the main sail. Is this normal for this boat? Any points on quick jiffey reafing are welcome, Thanks, Ralph

K

ken matejka

slugs on a line

You can place the slugs on a line that weaves through those slugs holes so that the line is taut when main is fully hoisted, but allows considerable play when dropping for a reef. This is how my boat is rigged, I will try to get some pictures up. Any loft will be able to show you this I would think.

K

ken matejka

other thoughts

Thought about this some more and have a few other alternatives. First, shouldn't be more than five slugs before the first reef point, if there are then there are too many and some can be removed. If the lower slugs are not on small diameter rope as I discussed earlier, Is the reef tack very close to one of the slugs? If so, remove it as this will allow a fold of the sail to be brought down to the gooseneck regardless of how many slugs are stacked in the slot. I have also seen a band of webbing placed through the reef tack with stainless rings sewn on either end. Neither of the rings can pass through the reef tack but still provides a very strong and seaworthy reef point as well as additional room to reef. Also, Do you have a main sail slug gate block(bolts to the mast and does allow the slugs to come out)? This would allow you do drop the slugs to the boom instead of perched up high with a slug stopper above the gate. Hope this helps. Ken Matejka

Status
Not open for further replies.