Reefing Rig Change

Mar 25, 2021
Pacific Seacraft Flicka 20 119 Marina del Rey
Hello,

I was wondering what the best way is to reef while single-handing. I currently have “all lines lead aft” except the hook for the reef is at the bow (not preferred in heavy weather). Previously I have tied in the mainsail to the boom after reefing but I’ve learned that isn’t necessary.

Would it be possible to lead everything aft?I also have no way to trim the clew that I know of on my boat

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You can create a system that lets you do all of your reefing with lines running to our cockpit.

That said, there is value to get out of the cockpit in all sorts of weather. Since I am a Mast Reefing sailor, my rigging is all on one side of the mast. This lets me walk up the Starboard side, I attach my tether to the mast. I install the reef on the sail. I then check all of the rigging and the bow for anything that may need attention before I face foul weather. Then head back to the cockpit.

Reefing at the Mast may encourage you to be reefing a little earlier than you might with the lines giving you a feeling of safety in the cockpit.

Moving about a boat in all conditions is a skill and may become a requirement to safely manage your boat. Consider the issue.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
If you don't have a way to trim the clew, you won't be able to reef. Perhaps a picture would help posters to better understand your situation.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
You could have a true "all lines lead aft" system if you installed a jiffy reef. This would involve one line in the cockpit that would secure both the clew and the tack when you reef the mainsail.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Personally I prefer two line reefing. They can both be led to the cockpit if desired. I have only seen one single line system that I felt worked well - meaning got the clew tight at the same time as the tack.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I think you'd have better luck by simply doing a google search for mainsail reefing systems. You can further refine that by adding "single line vs double line reefing systems" .

On a boat like the Flicka, which is very stable with its full keel, and flat decks, and small size over all, you'd be very secure for the short trip to the mast. I have a clew line and floating tack hook...the clew line runs forward along the boom to a captive vee cleat a foot or so back from the gooseneck. The tack ring is on a strap that runs through the reef cringle... allowing the ring to span the bunched up sail and slip around the rams horn for the forward corner of the reef. Because it's only 27 ft, my boat's mainsail doesn't need a winch to tighten down the reef. What you do is "sweat" the clew line, using the leverage provided by the line's long run along the boom. So,,,, to reef I make sure the vang is off, ease the mainsheet and bear off to a close reach, before leaving the cockpit I ease the halyard to a mark that tells me when the sail is in position. With the tiller pilot holding course, I walk to the mast, harnessed and tethered of course, hook the floating tack over the horn, and sweat the clew line down so the sail is secure. Back to the cockpit to tweak the trim on the halyard and I'm good. You can increase snugness on the clew line by pulling down the boom with the mainsheet and vang. Takes less than thirty seconds. You do not need to tie in any gaskets unless you're planning to stay reefed for a long time. If you do, make sure you use colored rope or webbing for the ties.... that's to remind you to remove them before you shake out the reef.... lest you do some damage to your mainsail.
One of the best reasons to rig this way, is to remove all the clutter in the cockpit and cabin top. I once saw an article where the guy had a Flicka sized boat that he sailed on one of the great lakes all the time.... He claimed that he reefed a couple times per outing consistently.... so he set up two line systems for 1st and 2nd reefs.... using clutches no less.... So that's FOUR extra lines in the small boat's cockpit, plus halyards, furler lines, vang, cunningham etc. He had big ass labels on every clutch.... it was ridiculous... looked like an old railroad switching tower....big levers and piles of rope all over the place. All that to save setting the tiller pilot and taking three steps to the mast. On larger boats it might not look so bad.... but on this little 21 footer it was absurd.

Anyway, do the search and you'll get lots of pics and links to related articles. It's good to get opposing viewpoints on this subject, because there a certainly different solutions to the problem. Good Luck, Have Fun

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
Personally I prefer two line reefing. They can both be led to the cockpit if desired. I have only seen one single line system that I felt worked well - meaning got the clew tight at the same time as the tack.
The P31-2 single line system works quite well.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I tend to agree, except rather than a line to draw the tack down, I prefer a horn to hook the tack ring, which actually does require going forward to the mast. It sounds like @SailorElliot has the horn and probably has single line to secure the clew. He might have to go to the gooseneck to draw down the line for the clew, though - I think it depends on where there might be a clutch. On my Starwind 27, I had a mainsail with 2 reefs. It had rams horns to secure the tack and the gooseneck had 2 levers (clutches) to secure the internal reef lines for the clews. I ran the 2 reefing lines through deck organizers to clutches at the cabin top after removing the gooseneck clutches.

Reefing was pretty easy ... I sailed forward on jib alone and luffed the main. I loosened the halyard just enough to drop the main to a pre-marked position on the halyard. I went forward quickly to the mast and hooked the tack cringle. I went back to cockpit & tensioned the halyard, then I drew the clew down with the reefing line, using the cabin top winch to assist if necessary. Finally, sheeted in the mainsail.

When done right, I was only at the mast a few seconds to hook the cringle and I never bothered to hook in on Barnegat Bay (not really rough enough). The trick was to drop the mainsail to just the right setting so that the cringle didn't drop out after hooking it - providing the time to get back to the cockpit for the halyard. There needed to be just the right tension so the cringle could be pulled to the hook. My most common difficulty was not having the reefing lines passed through the clew before needing to reef! :banghead: If I was single-handed, I could usually secure the wheel with a bungy and the boat would stay on course through the entire process as long as the boat wasn't overpowered on jib alone.