Reefing / Boom cam cleats

Apr 30, 2017
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a 1989 capri 22 (std, wing keel) with the race package. My question is in regards to the in boom reefing. I'm sailing on SF bay so reefing is pretty important. Basically is the racing package reefing system adequate? Assuming I just hook the reefing hooks at the mast and pull on the reefing line. It seems like the reefing line is pulling more aft when it should be pulling straight down if that makes sense?

Second question, the cam cleats on the mast seem to be completely ineffective. Maybe the line i'm using is too big? Anyway I plan on replacing these, is it a simple process that doesn't involve taking the mast apart?

Being my first keelboat this is all pretty new to me so any help is much appreciated!

Jul 28, 2016
How are you running the reefing line? It should run from the end of the boom up to the reef point, and then straight down, ending with a bowline tied around the boom. In this way, as you pull on the reefing in, you are simultaneously pulling the sail down to the boom, but also aft, essentially functioning as a outhaul.

I find the system to be very efficient. Make sure that the cleat for the reefing line is up to snuff, and the mounting screws properly secured. The only real downside is that it can be difficult to do single handed, but if you have a crew, you can quickly drop the halyard, secure the front reef point on the horn, tighten the reef line and then the halyard all in about 30 seconds.

Apr 30, 2017
Just to clarify on this, how exactly is the reefing line tied around the boom? I see how this would be done with a loose footed main but doesn't the sail itself get in the way when tying the line around the boom? Maybe this will make more sense when I go out and give it a shot, I must just be missing something.

Would you tie the bowline after you lower the sail to the reef point and just loop the bowline around all the excess sail?

Jul 28, 2016
I run a loose footed main, so I simply tie a bowline around the boom (keep the loop tight). If you have a bolt rope on your main, you will need a pad-eye to secure the reef line. But in general, this diagram shows the basic set up (note - this is not a CP22 sketch).

Attachments