Reefing a 272 O'Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bion

I recently purchased a 1986 O'Day 272, my first sailboat. I'm confused about the proper method for reefing the main. She has one line of reefing points (gromets). Would appreciate any help. You may e-mail me at bfoster@netfcu.org

J

Justin - O'day Owners' Web

reefing

Bion, I need a little more information from you before I can tell you what you need. Is there a hook on the boom near the gooseneck? Are there blocks along the boom that correspond to the grommets in the sail? Basically, you most likely have one of two systems. In the first, a line runs from the boom, through the aft-grommet, and through a block that turns it forward along the boom. Pulling this line pulls the clew of the reefed sail to the boom. With this system, there is a hook forward to hold the leach grommet. In the other case, the forward hook is replaced by another block, and the line runs through it up through the second grommet, and then either to the boom, or through more blocks to the cockpit. Either of these make sense to you? Justin - O'day Owners' Web

T

Tom Ehmke

Reefing an O'day 272

I have owned a 272 since '95 and the reef system is as Justin describes. The owners manual shows how the jiffy system works and indicates that the necessary blocks and lines are found on the boat. When I bought mine, the block which attaches to the first reef point at the luff was not there and it made jiffy reefing a real pain in the ... so I consulted my sail maker who discouraged using the jiffy system because of the strain it puts on the luff grommet. Instead I use a hook at the luff, as Justin describes,and a line lead through the grommet at the leech then through the boom and eventually, in my boat, to the cockpit. If you don't have access to an owners manual, I can fax you the page from my manual which shows the system if you have access to a fax machine.

J

Justin - O'day Owners' Web

hybrid

Tom - I have seen a system that lets you protect the sail by using the hook at the fwd end of the boom, yet still retain one line (plus the halyard)reefing to avoid going forward. I am going to try and duplicate it this winter. The boat had the line come forward as usual, then up from the boom, through a block hanging from the luff grommet by a toggle, the directly to the mast base organizers passing the boom on the same side as the hook. The idea was that with a slack halyard you could pull the luff grommet below the reefing hook, then with the halyard you could pull the luff grommet onto the hook and make it fast. Does this make sense? Anyway, if I can figure out how to make it work I figure it'll be the best of both worlds. Justin - O'day Owners' Web

T

Tom Ehmke

Justin-Reefing

Justin, What you describe is what is shown in the owners manual for my 272. The reefing line is led from the aft end of the boom, up through the leech reef cringle, back down and through the aft end of the boom. Where it comes out at the forward end of the boom, it can be run up and through the block on a toggle at the luff reef cringle, then back down to the base of the mast where it passes through a deck block to the line organizer. From there it is led back to the cockpit on the starboard side of the house. I tried this for awhile, but the friction seemed to be greater than it should be, so that's when I consulted my sailmaker. He said that the best thing FOR THE SAIL is to go forward after lowering the main halyard and hook the reef cringle to the reefing hook. This is what I now do, but I do have to go forward. (long breath) I now lead the line through the boom and directly down to the deck block and from there to the cockpit. I also need a carabiner attached to the luff cringle because no matter what I did I could not get the reefing hook into the ring attached to the webbing in the cringle. Now to your idea. How will you mate the reefing hook and the ring without going forward? If that could be solved, you would have the best of both worlds-- jiffy-reefing from the cockpit and no additional strain on the reefing line. Let me know how you do it. I'll try it if it works. tom

Status
Not open for further replies.