Reefing a 140

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sound sailor

I have a 140 and when the wind is 15+ knots its overpowered. I see the gooseneck fitting has a spring loaded connection that allows the boom to be pulled outward, and rolled. I can see dropping the vang entirely, but am at a loss as to how to re-attached the main blocks, which perform best mid boom. Any ideas?

R

Rick S.

boom claw

I've never owned or used one, but I remember seeing a C-shaped claw made for mid-boom sheeting with boom roller-furling. You unhook the upper shackle from the boom, roll the main, slide the claw onto the boom, and clip the upper shackle to the claw. There's enough room in the throat of the claw for the boom and rolled-up sail, but the slot between the tips of the claw is narrower than the diameter of the boom, so the claw "hangs on" to the upper surface of the boom. Downside is that the rolled-up sail is pinched hard between the boom and the tips of the claw. And I'm guessing that this type of reefing isn't something you can do quickly and easily on a small boat bouncing around in a blow. I don't know if the claw device is still made, or if you can find one small enough for the 140. I sail a Hunter 170 with a set of reef points in the main, and by installing a couple of small blocks and a cleat, converted from the factory-installed two-line reefing to a single-line system. If you have access to a sailmaker, I'd opt to have reef points installed on the the 140's main. It's quicker than roller-furling the main, and while you're reefing you still have the mainsheet to help keep the boom centered and under control. Check the 170 archives for pictures of reefing set-ups. Other 140 sailers can tell you what works best for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.