Reef Points

Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
Three part question here but all related. Anyone have the 2nd and or even third reef point in their main? I only have one reef point, and believe for safety overall putting in a second set would be a good idea. I had hoped that someone might know just how far up the 2nd set of reef grommets are? (and the 3rd set if you have them?)

How did you get the 2nd reef line threaded through the boom? I know the boat is set up for it, can't tell how much of a straight shot this might be?

Last question - at what wind speed do most owners reef (and I know the old before you think you need to response) I've been tucking the first reef in about 15 - 18kts, and by about 24kts wish I had a second.

Thank you in advance 310 Community...
Russ
s/v Long Story

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Three part question here but all related. Anyone have the 2nd and or even third reef point in their main? I only have one reef point, and believe for safety overall putting in a second set would be a good idea. I had hoped that someone might know just how far up the 2nd set of reef grommets are? (and the 3rd set if you have them?)

How did you get the 2nd reef line threaded through the boom? I know the boat is set up for it, can't tell how much of a straight shot this might be?

Last question - at what wind speed do most owners reef (and I know the old before you think you need to response) I've been tucking the first reef in about 15 - 18kts, and by about 24kts wish I had a second.

Thank you in advance 310 Community...
Russ
s/v Long Story
Unfortunately I can only help with some of these questions. We do have the second reef but it was set up by the PO so I can only answer some of the questions.

#1 I am not sure of the actual distance but it appears to be about 40% of the way up the sail. I will measure next time I put the sail up. But this is the factory sail and the reef point was in it from the factory. It wasn't added by the PO so you might be able to get that answer from Catalina.

#2 Again, this was already done when we bought the boat but I suspect if you remove the end cap of the boom and use an electrician's snake. I also have a small line that runs through the boom that I can use for pulling line in either direction.

#3 1st reef usually goes in around 18 kts and second around 25kts so I reef about the same as you.

I have been thinking of adding a 3rd reef point before we go out cruising. I will be interested to see what others say that might have them. I would guess the third reef point would be more the traditional tie down style rather than the slab reefing because I don't know how you would install slab/jiffy reefing for a third, deep point easily.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I have been thinking of adding a 3rd reef point before we go out cruising. I will be interested to see what others say that might have them. I would guess the third reef point would be more the traditional tie down style rather than the slab reefing because I don't know how you would install slab/jiffy reefing for a third, deep point easily.
A common trick is to rig an endless loop of small spider line between the 2nd and 3rd reef clews. When the 2nd reef is in, you use the loop to re-run the 1st reefing line up to the 3rd.

May 3, 2008
Catalina 310 Catawba Island
When I had the second reef points put in I just took the sail to a sailmaker. For the reefing line I used an electricians fishing tape through the boom - kind of a tedious job but doable. I also use small blocks at each reefing point to reduce friction. I have not considered a third reefing point (would need to be a jiffy reefing set-up) and have sometimes wished I had ordered the boat with the in-mast furling option.

Oct 5, 2010
Catalina 30 mkII St. Augustine
Any sail maker worth his/her salt will know where to put the reef points.

Reef when the boat becomes overpowered. You should have a feel for this with not much experience. Also if you are approaching hull speed you are close to reefing. You can't go faster than hull speed and you should do it with as little sail as possible any additional sail only stresses your rigging.

Aug 24, 2009
Any sail maker worth his/her salt will know where to put the reef points.

You are correct in that respect - now the rest of the story. I ended up buying one of those heavy duty sewing machines to do repair work to canvas and such. When checking the sails this spring, found some loose stitching and was surprised just how easy it was to re-stitch the sails. Therefore, if I had the locations this was going to be a DIY project... I could do the math and see at what point 40% of the sail is reduced but I thought I'd take the short cut and just ask someone that had it.

PS Machine works great and there is a full story behind that also...

Aug 24, 2009
Those photos, and the one's shown in the link are most helpful. The spreader makes a great reference also.

I will compare this weekend to the recommended 50".

Thank you

Russ
s/v Long Story

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
One issue I have is the sailmaker put the cleat for the leech line is quite high above the second reef cringle. If I have my Bimini top up it is very hard to reach the the leech line cleat unless I drop the traveler all the way and climb up on the cockpit combing back aft (sometimes have to step up on the winch). Place your cleat as low and as close to the reef clew cringe as possible to eliminate. On my list to do some day when the main needs to go to the loft is have the cleat lowered as far as possible.