Reef Hooks

Sep 1, 2014
Catalina 30 MKII Gulfport, FL
Two quick questions - saw / read the other discussions. Appreciated the info and links. Have an '89 Cat 30. Which hook would be most suitable to replace the reefing lines and wheels? Was going to get three, should the third one go on mast end of boom, or mast itself? These are from rigrite.com

3/8" Simple Reef Hook w/ 1/4" Hole: PP 54-2S:
Simple 3/8" diameter SS Reef Hook has flattened end with (1) 1/4" (6mm) hole for bolt or screw. SS Reef Hook is (maximum) 3 1/2" high. Used with the SP-175 Gooseneck Toggle on a variety of Cape Dory's. SP-174-3A 2x1/4"B
Simple Reef Hook w/ 3/8" Hole: PP 54-6S:
Simple 3/8" diameter SS Reef Hook is welded to tab with 3/8" hole. SS Reef Hook is (maximum) 4" high, (3 1/4" from hole center). For special applications using a 3/8" Horizontal Pin or bolt.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Which hook would be most suitable to replace the reefing lines and wheels? Was going to get three, should the third one go on mast end of boom, or mast itself?
Mike.
  1. replace the reefing lines and wheels? The Reef hook does not necessarily replace your reefing lines. Which ones are you identifying for replacement? Pictures of your current set up would be helpful. Some times reefing has been altered by previous owners.
  2. Was going to get three, No need for "3" reefing hooks. How many reefing points do you have in your Main sail Luff?
At the most 2 will suffice. They are attached to the boom as part of the gooseneck. One on either side of the boom. Sometimes only one. As you lower the mainsail, you attach the sails Reefing Grommet to a hook. Haul in on the reefing line (this brings the Mainsail clew down to the boom end these shorting the leach to the first reef point. Then you draw the main up snug against the reef hook.

Reef hooks will require your attention for this evolution at the mast. Some owners have altered the reefing system so they can do everything from the cockpit. They use "reefing lines and wheels" to accomplish the same effort. It sounds like you want to go to the mast and do all the work. Then you can use the "Reef Hook" system.

Sep 1, 2014
Catalina 30 MKII Gulfport, FL
@jssailem thx for your reply. I get all that. It's what's on the boat now. Have only had the boat for three months. Boats I've had before had only hooks. Third one was at the mast.
I like the hook system. It's quick, and works for me. Slack the main, hook at mast, hook at reef point, tighten the main. Done. No other lines to mess with. Period.
Will replace hardware on boom with two hooks, and put a hook on mast.
Thanks for your input.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Mike.
I have my main rigged in the traditional way. I do my sail sets and reefing at the mast not from the cockpit.

I have two reef points designed on the main. I have reef hooks at the gooseneck port and starboard side of the boom. Works great.

No idea why you would have a third one on the mast. How do you use it?

To handle the clew, I have two lines running through the boom to turning sheaves at the end of the boom then up to the clew reef grommets and back to the boom.

May 7, 2011
C - 30 # 3573 Lake NormanNC formerly Bflo NY
Suggestion, instead of using the reef cringles on a hook, have your sail loft install a "dogbone" loop of webbing at them, its a lot easier reefing and easier on the reef cringles. You can temporarily make these up with webbing or line and welded rings, but a sailmaker does the best job.

• Helpful