Reducing backstay tension

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nauti-Duck

I'm adding a backstay adjuster to my C320 and want to know if winching the main halyard attached to the rear two mooring cleats to take tension off the split backstay has worked for anyone else. I need to remove chainplate pins and replace them with D shackles. Therefore, the tension has to be completetly eliminated.

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

I'm not completely familiar w/the new 320 but...

isn't there a turnbuckle just above the split of the backstay? THAT is what will reduce the tension, not using the main. You can use the halyard to keep the rig stabilized if you want but it certainly won't fall down if you don't. Have fun! LaDonna

R

Richard

don't worry

My catalina 30 mast stayed up just fine at the slip without a backstay on. I had it off for some mods. Even had the forstay off earlier to put on a furling system. I am sure the lowers and the mast step will hold it with no load on it.

N

Nauti-Duck

Not worried about mast falling.

Does the forestay need to be loosened in order to relieve tension on backstay?

M

Michael McCann

Backstay Tension

Are there turnbuckles on the backstay? If there are turnbuckles loosen those to release the tension on the bvackstay, if not, you will have to loosen the forestay. I have never seen a Catalina without turnbuckles on the backstay. If you have loosened the turnbuckles all the way, and still can't get the pins out the halyard may work. You will need to do something to take the load of the head sail off the mast (pulling the mast top forward).

R

Richard

easy

Most catalinas I have seen have the mast swept back already so likely just loosening the backstay turnbuckle will cause the backstay to sag enough to disconnect (without worrying about things flying). If you have the turnbuckle loosened to near the max and the stay is still tight then you may want to consider loosening the forstay.

N

Nauti-Duck

Thank you! Job completed.

Thank you all for your input. As you pointed out, it wasn't nearly as scary as I anticipated. As suggested, the backstay turnbuckles were the key. I did use the main halyard attached to the rear cleats as a backup, but that was more for my own peace of mind rather than a necessary procedure. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.