Recovery Marine's Mast Ladder experiences?

Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California
Anyone have any experience with this particular mast step ladder? I need to get up my mast soon and fix steaming and anchor light so i can pass a required Coast Guard Inspection.

I have used the fixed rung style ladders before that you haul up with the main halyard. Problem with this style is they dont secure to the mast anywhere else so tend to swing around a lot when trying to climb them. The Recovery Marine style ladder attaches to the sail slugs in the track so to me looks like it would be a lot more stable and safer to climb.

Eventually I want to add bolt on folding mast steps, but they are out of the budget for the moment. The good ones would cost almost $2k. The ladders are only $300ish so seem like a good compromise for a quick solution but was hoping to get a little feedback from any users of this particular ladder or a similar one that attaches to the sail track.

arf145

Nov 4, 2010
Beneteau 331 Deale, MD
I used a Mast Mate--which seems to be a similar product that goes up the sail track--ladder on my previous boat and was very happy with it. I used it to rig up a new forestay, replace the anchor light, and do inspections. It felt very secure, especially with their optional tool belt that went around the mast to help keep you from falling backwards. I miss having the option to easily go up the mast, but my current boat has roller furling and no track for slugs.

Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California
I used a Mast Mate--which seems to be a similar product that goes up the sail track--ladder on my previous boat and was very happy with it. I used it to rig up a new forestay, replace the anchor light, and do inspections. It felt very secure, especially with their optional tool belt that went around the mast to help keep you from falling backwards. I miss having the option to easily go up the mast, but my current boat has roller furling and no track for slugs.
Great! Thank you for the feedback. I will check that one out as well. The toolbelt sounds like a great addition. I will need some way to be able to lean back securely.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I have also used a mastmate. Fairly easy to climb, but also use a safety harness. A little hard on the feet and be careful getting feet in and out of the loops.

You will be standing the whole time, so that can be tiring, and you need some sort of strap so you can let go of the mast to use your hands to do the work.

I prefer a couple of ascenders on a static halyard, using a chair and foot loops…inchworm your way up alternating standing in the foot loops while raising the chair, then sitting in the chair and raising the feet. Once up to the top, you can sit in the chair and use both hands to do the work.

Greg

Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California
I have also used a mastmate. Fairly easy to climb, but also use a safety harness. A little hard on the feet and be careful getting feet in and out of the loops.

You will be standing the whole time, so that can be tiring, and you need some sort of strap so you can let go of the mast to use your hands to do the work.

I prefer a couple of ascenders on a static halyard, using a chair and foot loops…inchworm your way up alternating standing in the foot loops while raising the chair, then sitting in the chair and raising the feet. Once up to the top, you can sit in the chair and use both hands to do the work.

Greg
Thanks Greg. Yup i will add an ascender/harness on spare halyard. It looks like the MastMate comes with battens now for the foot straps. A chair sounds ideal though once i get one and figure out how to set it all up.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
  • Always roll the ladder for storage so that the loops pop open.
  • Tension HARD so that it does not move.
  • Use shoes with no tread and smooth soles. Easier in an out and still very secure. NO TREAD.
  • Rubber-faced gloves for grip on the mast and stays.
  • Better than an ascender is a device like a Camp Goblin or Petzl ASAP. These are actually rated for for fall arrest (ascenders are not) and they track up and down the rope without attention. I've used these climbing masts, work at height, and countless rock climbs and falls. MUCH better and safer than an ascender for solo climbing.
  • A seat is bulky and slow, but adding wider padding to the legs of a climbing harness is smart. Stiff foam work-out room tiles work well.
Camp Goblin

Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California
  • Use shoes with no tread and smooth soles. Easier in an out and still very secure. NO TREAD.
  • Better than an ascender is a device like a Camp Goblin or Petzl ASAP. These are actually rated for for fall arrest (ascenders are not) and they track up and down the rope without attention. I've used these climbing masts, work at height, and countless rock climbs and falls. MUCH better and safer than an ascender for solo climbing.
  • A seat is bulky and slow, but adding wider padding to the legs of a climbing harness is smart. Stiff foam work-out room tiles work well.
Camp Goblin
I have been reading that a typical chest harness is a big No No for climbing. Do you recommend the typical leg/waist harnesses that are used for rock climbing or a chest/waist combo harness?

Mar 26, 2011
I have been reading that a typical chest harness is a big No No for climbing. Do you recommend the typical leg/waist harnesses that are used for rock climbing or a chest/waist combo harness?
OSHA and climbing standards groups banned chest harnesses-alone for climbing more than 60 years ago. Don't even think it. There are chest harnesses designed to be used in combination with seat harness, but not your sailing deck harness. Remove all such thoughts from you mind.

There are combo harnesses for tower climbing that are quite good, but frankly overkill IF you are fit enough to have a waist. If you have a gut that eliminates your waist, you probably should not climb. A seat harness must be cinched around you natural waist securely enough that not only can't you slide it down, there is no way you could fall out if you were upside down. This is just one reason OSHA requires body harnesses for industry.

General industry fall harnesses are actually terrible for mast work. The leg loops press against your femoral arteries and put your legs to sleep. Tower harnesses have a different leg loop arrangement.

Climbing seat harnesses work fine, with one adjustment. Add wider padding to the leg loops to increase comfort. You can just duct tape it on, since is not critical if it shifts.

I also like to carry a few slings and biners with me. I can wrap them around the mast when I get where I'm going, reducing swinging.

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
I have a mast mate and I am short and not as flexible as I once was. The one and only time I used it i found it very difficult to reach the 17" steps. If your shoe catches the edge or it didn't fold down completely it can be frustrating. They do make a short person version with 14" steps but it is much more expensive. I did follow @thinwater's guidelines, but I think a few more tricks might have improved the experience, at a minimum take a short stick so you can reach down and move a step without having to backdown, fix it, and try again.

One thing that did work well was that I used a bosun's chair with my safety harness. This let me comfortably rest from time to time by hanging in the chair.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California
OSHA and climbing standards groups banned chest harnesses-alone for climbing more than 60 years ago. Don't even think it. There are chest harnesses designed to be used in combination with seat harness, but not your sailing deck harness. Remove all such thoughts from you mind.

There are combo harnesses for tower climbing that are quite good, but frankly overkill IF you are fit enough to have a waist. If you have a gut that eliminates your waist, you probably should not climb. A seat harness must be cinched around you natural waist securely enough that not only can't you slide it down, there is no way you could fall out if you were upside down. This is just one reason OSHA requires body harnesses for industry.

General industry fall harnesses are actually terrible for mast work. The leg loops press against your femoral arteries and put your legs to sleep. Tower harnesses have a different leg loop arrangement.

Climbing seat harnesses work fine, with one adjustment. Add wider padding to the leg loops to increase comfort. You can just duct tape it on, since is not critical if it shifts.

I also like to carry a few slings and biners with me. I can wrap them around the mast when I get where I'm going, reducing swinging.
Good stuff...thank you. Yeah i see what you mean about the tower harnesses. Some of them look like moon walking astronaut suits. Looks like i could fly from helicopters with one of those suckers. Im pretty lean though, so i think i will try a regular climbing harness. I'm not going to be up there for hours. It should fit pretty well. I'll see how it feels and if i need to add any padding to the legs. I have a ton of used exercise matts i can cut up if i need to.

Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California

Camp Goblin
How do you feel about a Prusik hitch instead of a fall arrestor device?

Mar 26, 2011
How do you feel about a Prusik hitch instead of a fall arrestor device?
Levels of risk ....

I did that once, when I left my harness and device at home. I tied a seat harness from rope, made a swami belt, and used a Prusik tied from 3/8-inch line. Old school climber stuff I started with way back in the day. As a long time climber, falling was not even in my mind, but the system worked OK. It was just a quick trip to grab a halyard with a failed snap shackle. But a Prusik hitch that is not well set on the rope will not grab, and in a fall they can slip some. OSHA and ISO certainly do not accept the method.

I would not suggest it to someone that was not very confident climbing and had used Prusiks a lot. Even then ... I use a Goblin. Much safer in a fall.

BYW, the Prusik Hitch is not Prussian and is actually named for Greg Prusik.

Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California
Levels of risk ....

I did that once, when I left my harness and device at home. I tied a seat harness from rope, made a swami belt, and used a Prusik tied from 3/8-inch line. Old school climber stuff I started with way back in the day. As a long time climber, falling was not even in my mind, but the system worked OK. It was just a quick trip to grab a halyard with a failed snap shackle. But a Prusik hitch that is not well set on the rope will not grab, and in a fall they can slip some. OSHA and ISO certainly do not accept the method.

I would not suggest it to someone that was not very confident climbing and had used Prusiks a lot. Even then ... I use a Goblin. Much safer in a fall.

BYW, the Prusik Hitch is not Prussian and is actually named for Greg Prusik.
Thanks for honest opinion. I went ahead and ordered a Petzl TIBLOC. I know its technically an ascender and not a fall arrestor but $ is scarce after the ladder, three steps, rope, harness, carabiner, etc.... I researched it a bit and it seems to be a very capable piece of kit for occasional light duty climbing and can descend easily and still lock onto the line quite well with its spring loaded grip. Ill have a very short tether from the TIBLOC to my waist harness so there is no slack. Maybe i'll add a Prusik ahead of the TIBLOC just for a little added measure. I'll see how it all feels once its all set up.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2020
Hunter 30 1001 Nyack NY Hudson River
Good price on ebay, definitely use a harness and backup climbing line (spin halyard) and lanyard around mast and you will be much more comfortable.

Mar 26, 2011
Thanks for honest opinion. I went ahead and ordered a Petzl TIBLOC. I know its technically an ascender and not a fall arrestor but $ is scarce after the ladder, three steps, rope, harness, carabiner, etc.... I researched it a bit and it seems to be a very capable piece of kit for occasional light duty climbing and can descend easily and still lock onto the line quite well with its spring loaded grip. Ill have a very short tether from the TIBLOC to my waist harness so there is no slack. Maybe i'll add a Prusik ahead of the TIBLOC just for a little added measure. I'll see how it all feels once its all set up.
I suggest you take a look at the teeth on those.

All I can say is I wouldn't. I have used them climbing, but even there didn't like them.

I don't understand the universal (not just you) cheapness on climbing equipment. A proper device is the price of dinner and a movie. Interestingly, climbing gear has barely increased in price since the 70's, the result of increased volume and competition. And this stuff last a long, long time if cared for.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I have been using 2 Petzel ascenders, a chair and foot loops to climb my mast for the past 2 seasons. I use a Gri Gri on a separate halyard as a safety line.

I was trying to use the Gri Gri and 1 ascender, so I could rappel down instead of the “inch worm” process with 2 ascenders. I got up to the spreaders once, and I could not get the Gri Gri to release and let me down (halyard was old and stiff). I was stuck at that point.

Luckily, I had a few Prussic loops on my belt and was able to use a Prussic as my second ascender and ease my way down.

For me, the 2 ascenders, while not fast, is pretty reliable and simple. With a Gri Gri or Prussic on a safety line, I feel pretty secure going up the mast. (But I still want to figure out how to rappel down on the Gri Gri!).

Greg

Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California
Good price on ebay, definitely use a harness and backup climbing line (spin halyard) and lanyard around mast and you will be much more comfortable.
Thanks. I looked at purchasing from that company but in the pictures, the ladder looks all twisted and wonky in the track under the spreaders. That with the much lower price point to the Mast Mate had me wondering about the quality. I went ahead and ordered the Mast Mate instead. It looked to be made a bit more rugged and came with some nice extras.

Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California
I suggest you take a look at the teeth on those.

All I can say is I wouldn't. I have used them climbing, but even there didn't like them.

I don't understand the universal (not just you) cheapness on climbing equipment. A proper device is the price of dinner and a movie. Interestingly, climbing gear has barely increased in price since the 70's, the result of increased volume and competition. And this stuff last a long, long time if cared for.
Thanks for the link. Yeah i read about their reputation as rope shredders and even being capable of de-sheathing a rope. Hopefully I wont be going up the mast very often so will be a non issue. With the spring loaded tensioner i should be able to release the teeth on the descent. If i end up not liking it, next season when $ is more available i'll get the fall arrestor.

Well for me, $ is tight right now and this project needs to get done asap so i can renew my slip lease. I decided to spend the extra money on the ladder instead and went with the Mast Mate which are made to order and seem really well build compared to some of the other climbing systems. The rest of the equipment, while not the highest quality, should easily be capable of the occasional mast ascent and work. I would definitely be buying the much better gear if i was doing this all the time or had lots of cash. The upgrades will come later. For now I just need to get this done as safely as is realistically possible.