Reconditioning circuit breakers

Apr 24, 2020
Hunter Cheribini 37 South Portland
My boat is 40 years old and has a slow of circuit breakers. Most work. Sometimes you have to flip them twice. But, some do not turn things on at all. Is there an easy way to fix this? Like maybe a spray that would clean the contacts?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Circuit breakers wear out, especially when they are used as switches. The only good solution is to replace them.

Don't buy cheap off brand breakers, they can be unreliable and subsequently dangerous. Buy BlueSea branded ones which are made by Carling, a major US based electrical equipment manufacturer.

While individual breakers are relatively inexpensive, at ~$15 each, replacing a lot can be expensive. This is a project that can be phased in, replacing a few breakers at a time starting with the most used breakers or faulty breakers. They are probably size A.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Dan,

I have performed autopsies on failed circuit breakers and am pretty sure there is no reliable way to resuscitate them.

The good news is (if you have the same HC 37 panel as me), identical to original breakers are still available and reasonably priced. I have replaced all the AC breakers, including the "reverse polarity" one and added one for a dedicated fridge circuit. I have also replaced many of the DC breakers and added one for the same fridge.

Because of the way the busbars are arranged it is a total PITA to get in there and replace one breaker. I would plan on doing all you want at once. I also rebuilt the support panel around the electrical panel. I have attached some pictures and a link for the breaker supplier.

Newer standards require the installation of an ELCI if you feel like indulging in some project creep, and I have attached a link for that as well, but I would make that a separate project.

before.jpgafter.jpgDCP_0218.JPG

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Dan,

I have performed autopsies on failed circuit breakers and am pretty sure there is no reliable way to resuscitate them.

The good news is (if you have the same HC 37 panel as me), identical to original breakers are still available and reasonably priced. I have replaced all the AC breakers, including the "reverse polarity" one and added one for a dedicated fridge circuit. I have also replaced many of the DC breakers and added one for the same fridge.

Because of the way the busbars are arranged it is a total PITA to get in there and replace one breaker. I would plan on doing all you want at once. I also rebuilt the support panel around the electrical panel. I have attached some pictures and a link for the breaker supplier.

Newer standards require the installation of an ELCI if you feel like indulging in some project creep, and I have attached a link for that as well, but I would make that a separate project.

View attachment 225480View attachment 225481View attachment 225482
The first CB replacement is a bit daunting, however, once one get's the hang of it it is not so difficult. I've replaced a bunch of mine on a more complex panel. A long Phillips head screw driver is really helpful, the shafts on the standard screwdrivers is just too short, the driver is at an angle to the screw. With a little luck the panel manufacturer used a busbar with slots, so the screws only need to be loosened and not removed to get the bus bar out of the way.

An ECLI is a good safety addition to the AC system, however they do take up more space than the 2 pole AC main breaker.

• Helpful

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Look'n like I'll be biting the bullet..
That is the safest approach. You might want to trace all of the wires to determine what is expected to turn off and on.