RECOMMISSIONING THE FRESH WATER SYSTEM--Updated 3-29-2023

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Water heater will drain quickly if you hold open the pressure/temperature relief valve lever while the drain valve is open. No need to employ pumps of any kind. Further, for what it is worth, for over thirty years I have never added antifreeze to my fresh water system; simply opened all faucets and let the pump operate until it runs dry; then drained water heater and sponged out the fresh water tank bottom.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Peggy, I have a 50 gallon aluminum fresh water tank and a 25 gallon flexible water tank that I added last year. The flexible tank came with instructions to flush with a vinegar solution. The flexible tank instructions made no mention of bleach. Can I use the bleach shock treatment on the flexible tank?
That's a question for the flex tank mfr, 'cuz different brands can use different types of materials...bleach, even for the short amount of time it would be in the tank, may damage one brand, but not another.

--Peggie

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Water heater will drain quickly if you hold open the pressure/temperature relief valve lever while the drain valve is open. No need to employ pumps of any kind. Further, for what it is worth, for over thirty years I have never added antifreeze to my fresh water system; simply opened all faucets and let the pump operate until it runs dry; then drained water heater and sponged out the fresh water tank bottom.
Mine takes a while (or I am impatient)…

My WH has a very small drain valve…an old Atwood WH I think.

I am usually draining it on haulout day, while trying to winterize the rest of the water system. Time is short to get everything ready to haul out.…and I am told I can be impatient :yikes:

Greg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Water should drain out of the HW tank pretty quickly if the faucets are left open, at least until the last few inches of water are left in the tank. Those few inches aren't an issue anyway because there is plenty of room for the ice to expand.