recharging the Adler Barbour

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alice C.

Does anyone know if it's feasible to recharge an AB unit with R134 kits available in auto parts stores? If so, how would one do this and is there any danger inherent in this process as far as damaging the unit? Thanks, Alice C.

B

Bob Reitz

Adding refrigerant

I have a 1995 model which uses R134A. Afew years ago the unit was not cooling. I borrowed a set of gages and a tank of 134A. When I went to hook it up I found I had to unbolt the compressor and slide it aft to get to the suction port. This unit must have been built about the time they were changing from R12 as it had an R12 connection, had to make a trip to auto supply for adapter kit. After I recharged it has been OK for about 3 years. Be very stingy when adding the refrig as the capacity is quite low. If you use the auto supply kit without a gage set add a little at a time and test the unit. The instructions say to check for how long it takes to frost up the ice tray. I dont remember the exact time but it is in the AB instuction sheets

M

Matias

:(Be aware that you must have an....

A/C and refrigeration technician license to purchase and use refrigeration fluids containing CFCs. You do not need contribute to global warming. If they sell it to you at the auto part store you and them could be fined (and other like jail time) for violating the Clean Air Act. I know that must of us have the skills to do thids kind of work and I also know that it is expensive, but please don't. Matias

A

Alice C.

R134A

My understanding was that 134A is a substance that was developed to avoid the problems with the ozone layer. Is this incorrect? Why are these kits for sale everywhere if this is an environmental problem? Can someone clear this up? Alice C.

T

Tom S

Yes you can purchase the R134 refrigerant

over the counter. Only the R12 (older refrigerant) is not available to everyone

T

Tom S

Here is even more answers to your question

Go here http://www.kollmann-marine.com/answers.html#Converting to another refrigerant. Actually this whole site is a wealth of marine refrigeration information http://www.kollmann-marine.com/

R

Richard Kollmann

Converting to 134a refrigerant

I do not recommend that you try to convert the older Danfoss BD2.5 compressors to 134a, BAD IDEA. Forget what you have heard there is currently a surplus of Freon R12 and the amount of refrigerant needed for these systems is less than one-half pound. A fare price today for R12 today is $10 to $20 per pound. When these small completely sealed systems lose refrigerant, there is a leak that must be repaired. Repairable leaks on these systems are at; the servicing connection and installation connections. Leaks that are not recommended as repairable are in the evaporator area.

T

Tom S

Richard Kollman, Who can purchase R12 ?

I agree that it would be better to be able to use R12, But the average person can't just walk in off the street purchase R12. I went searching for it a few years back and wasn't able to purchase it. Do you have a source for us? FWIW I own a 27 year old Datsun 280-Z It used R12, but I put R134 in it 5 years ago when I saw the bill of what it would be for an authorized AC dealer to recharge with R12 *yks ! Yes I had to put adapters on, but that all came with the kit. Well 5 years later and its still working fine. Can't say that is what will happen with the Danfoss compressor, but it does work for some systems. Just curious Whats different about the Danfoss compressor's?

R

Richard Kollmann

When to convert and when not to convert

We all should know by now that releasing refrigerants to the atmosphere is not expectable and that is why there is a ban on manufacturing CFC refrigerants. A license is now required to, buy CFC and HCFC refrigerants, and service system with these refrigerants. Most shaft driven compressors like the one on your automobile A/C should be converted to 134a and all leaks repaired. Older electrically driven hermetically sealed compressors and condensing units were not designed to handle 134a refrigerants and using it in compressors like the Danfoss BD 2.5 will shorten their service life.

T

Tom S

Ok thanks for the explaination

Didn't know the difference between the two compressor types.

Status
Not open for further replies.