Received my sextant

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I ordered a Davis Mark 25 sextant. Thought it was a good time for me to learn celestial navigation. So on 1/9, the sextant arrived.

First off, I was surprised to find a note in the box that stated if I wanted to upgrade to a metal sextant, I have 90 days and will receive a full refund towards the new sextant. Now that is nice.

OK... the Davis is plastic. I was expecting a heavier or thicker plastic but was disappointed that the plastic is not very sturdy. It looks like any exposure to the sun will cause the plastic to expand.

The feel of the sextant is comfortable, but I am not used to holding something up to my eye for any period of time. And even though it is light weight, my arm gets tired quickly.

The movement of the index arm is very smooth. The micrometer drum also rotates smoothly. I cannot state accuracy of the markings but the documentation states around 15'.

The sextant comes with a regular siting tube and a telescope. The tube is great for day shots but the telescope helps enlarge the celestial target. Moon and sun are easy to find even with the telescope, as was Jupiter. The north star took some time to find. My only complaint is the focus on the telescope. I literally have to pull the focus tube almost all the way out to obtain focus. I didn't think I was that blind. And, it is difficult to make an observation with my glasses on. So that is a big negative for this sextant. I may (if I keep the sextant) look for better scope to use. One that has a larger focusing range. Maybe a small piece of tape or a thin layer of rubber based caulk will tighten up the focus slide.

That's it. I will be doing test readings for the next several months. I need to get a Nautical Almanac. Then I can do the sight reductions as well.

Ctskip

Sep 21, 2005
other 12 wet water
It sounds like you are getting ready for some brain drain. Good luck. I hope you enjoy your new toy. They are always fun. Maybe you never should of stopped those visits to the gym?

Keep it up,
Ctskip

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
One method for picking up a star is the set the arm to zero on the arc and aim directly at the star. Then keeping the star in the mirror slowly bring the sight telescope to the horizon while moving the arm and the mirror.

Jan 25, 2007
Cal Cal 33-2 cape cod
Celestial Navigator by George Bennet, has all the tables you need, almanac data, and instructions to find longitude and latitude. It's entirely self-contained, all you need an accurate time piece and a sextant. Of course, I'm really not qualified to give advice on this subject. I've found my latitude quiet easily, but longitude has eluded me, maybe this will be the year I come within 2000nm of my actual longitude. Good luck.

Feb 17, 2006
Thanks William. I've been looking at all the books and was clueless. Your recommendation will be my first purchase. Thanks, again.

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
Brian—

The book William recommended is actually titled, The Complete On-board Celestial Navigator, 2007–2011 edition. It is about $20 at Amazon.com.

Feb 17, 2006
Thanks, Rob. One book at a time. I'll keep it in mind.

Jim

May 21, 2007
Catalina 36 MK II NJ
You'll never use it. That is ok. I buy stuff I never use all the time!

Oct 27, 2006
Oday 28 Sandusky, Ohio
For any who might be interested-- The United States Power Squadrons teaches 2 courses on Celestial Navigation. Having taken both of them, I can state they will absolutely give you the skills to navigate. A friend of mine took the courses and said they were superior to navigation courses he had taken at the Coast Guard Academy.

Feb 17, 2006
You know Jim, I thought I would never use my training in emergency communications, but one day I found myself on a HF net coordinating an SAR for a lost Marine in the mountains. I got several other Hams to help me triangulate his position, and guess what. We found him.

So, never say never.

Jim

May 21, 2007
Catalina 36 MK II NJ
Brian that cool. Maybe you use it someday. How did you find the marine long an lat using ham radios that bounce radio waves in the atmosphere?

Feb 17, 2006
We pulled the guy down to low band HF and used locals to triangulate ground wave. Had two guys in LA, one in Fallbrook, and one in SD, plus the station I was at. They used their beam antennas. It wasn't exact but it was close enough for a team on ground to find him.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
Moon, how close have you been able to get? What do you use for a time piece? Have you tried it on the water yet and how does that affect your accuracy?