Rebedding rear strapeyes and winches.

Sep 5, 2017
Macgregor 26S TN River
I am working on repairing some leaks from above and am rebedding most of the deck hardware. I have questions about two items
1. The rear strapeyes appear to be leaking. More from the port one, but both have staining below them. How do I access the nuts to be able to remove them and rebed the strapeyes?
2. How do I remove the winches? I removed all four nuts, but could not wiggle the winch.

Thanks
-Russ

Attachments

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Hey Russ,

I don’t have specifics on the O’Day you have, but:

1) for the strap eyes, I would look in the lazzerette or berth or whatever is under the coaming for the nuts and hopefully some sort of backing plate. If you can back out the screws, you may find that the PO just used sheet metal screws into the fiberglass.

2) for the winches, not sure which nuts you took off...if under the winch, then it may be stuck with sealing compound of some kind. A flat screw driver, carefully pushed under the edge of the winch may pry it loose.

Good luck,

Greg

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
It will be easier if you take the drum cover off and remove the bolts. You will need to disassemble the winch drum to access the bolts for reinstallation, so you may as well do it to make removal easier. After you remove the bolts, You might be able to pry the winch up, or you may need to use a wire to cut the bedding compound to loosen the winch from the gelcoat.

If you have never serviced the winches with cleaning and new grease, it’s way overdue for service! You may need to replace the pawls and maybe the springs, which are inexpensive.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
If you have never serviced the winches with cleaning and new grease, it’s way overdue for service! You may need to replace the pawls and maybe the springs, which are inexpensive.
and those springs will surely pop put and fly away...don’t ask me how I know;-)

greg

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
A shoe box lid cut to go around the winch is the best advice I have seen to keep small parts from going overboard, but still be careful.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
First of all, it is called an eye strap and not a strap eye. First of all check to see if the fasteners have nuts on them or are just screws. If just screws, then just unscrew them. If through bolted, that you have to find your way to the underside and if something covers the nuts up, you have to somehow cut a hole through whatever material it is to obtain access. Often in that area there might be foam for flotation. If you can see stains from where it leaks below, then I'd think you should find the nuts. The winch, as mentioned above can be disassembled, the drum removed and then the bolt heads will be exposed and you will need access to them to refasten the winch after caulking. To break what seal you have, you can take a chisel or flat screwdriver and gently tap between the deck and winch base to break the seal. If your Macgregor (not O'day as mentioned above) is not the trailer, then your stress of losing parts is lessened. If the boat is in the water, having using the shoe box method is a good idea, or have someone else around to help keep things in place while you remove the winch. Once the winch is apart, it is a good time to clean and put new grease on the bearings. It's an easy job for your winch types as you will find out. Just use the right grease designed for that purpose. Something from Harken or Lewmar works (West Marine has admitted the winch grease they sell isn't the best - or at least that is what one of their reps admitted).

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
And a few drops of very light oil (no grease) for the pawls/springs.