ready to upgrade from my beloved capri 13.

Apr 7, 2019
catalina capri trailer
I love my capri 13, but I'm getting tired of swimming every time I sail.
I would like a boat with a wing or swing keel for easy trailering. I would be mainly day sailing but it would be fun to sleep on from time to time.
I'm considering a capri 22, or perhaps a catalina 22 which I believe is roomier down below.
Any thought would be appreciated.
Thanks,
jasper

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Jasper, if you are day sailing or perhaps an overnight, I might suggest the Montgomery 15 or even the 17. I had a 15 and loved it. I hated to send her to a new home but my desire to sail in the big waters of the Pacific NW and for longer trips required a different boat.
At 5'10" I could stretch out in the 15's V berth. I could sit in the cabin. She was a ]very stable boat. You could not get her to tip unless you stood on the bow, grabbed the fore stay and swung you but out over the water. Then she would tip up on her side, you would let go and she would right herself as if nothing had happened.

Jerry Montgomery designed a great little boat with a big heart. A terrific trailer boat.
He also has designed the Sage which is built in Colorado. Similar lines and upgraded features.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
If a small/cramped cabin is OK, look at a Holder 20. There are two versions, one has a longer cabin than the other. Otherwise look at an RL24. It still has a bit of a dinging feel, but has a bigger cabin. I've had the RL out in 30 mph winds with full sails up. The boat was designed in Australia and is very popular over there. The US boats were built in MN. It is well designed for bad weather, as it is often used for coastal sailing.
Both boats are rated slightly faster than the Capri 22. I remember sitting in a Capri 22 and hitting my head against the ceiling. I think the cabin is doable, but very cramped.

Apr 7, 2019
catalina capri trailer
Thanks for the responses. This was my first post of my life. It seems the sailing community is very helpful.
One thing that I found out since I made my post is that the capri does not have a bimini. I get so darned hot, that may rule that one out. I'll be looking at the Montgomery, Holder, and RL.
Jasper

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Most small boats don't have a bimini, but you can put one on. My RL did not have one, until I installed one. Yes, it makes a world of difference. It cost about 200 bucks and is pretty easy to install.

You could not get her to tip unless you stood on the bow, grabbed the fore stay and swung you but out over the water. Then she would tip up on her side, you would let go and she would right herself as if nothing had happened.
You are supposed to remove the main halyard from the sail and use it to swing out over the water and drop in. We do that when we are swimming, as we don't carry a diving board.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
We owned and sailed a Catalina 22-#10380-a 1981- Ours had a pop Top/Swing keel.
She was a Great Boat, we cruised her and Raced her-Lots of fun easy to set up, inexpensive to maintain and we put a screen in the hatchway at night, We sold her to move up to a Catalina 25 pop top/swing keel!