(re) location of hot water heater

john2

Nov 26, 2022
Catalina 310 58 Leimuiden
Hello , i'm looking for some advice.... Our old original hwh gave up and was leaking.
I bought a new one of 40 liters. and now comes the question. After cleaning up the whole area behind the hwh i figured out that the hwh fits on the (higher) shelf in the starboard locker. This would open up the locker (easy acces to : tank/exhaust hose)
Will this give issues with the coolant flow from the engine? Has anyone tried this?
John.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
My Hot water heater sits above the engine. Hose run is approximately 6 feet to and then back to the engine. No problems have been experienced. When running the engine the water can get hot enough to scald. The new WH has better insulation and maintains that hot water for about 24 hours or so.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Couple of things to be mindful of: High point bleed.. makes it easy to get all the air out of the system.. and a good pressure cap (radiator cap) and overflow bottle so that air does not get back into the system..

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I dont think that having the tank above the engine (within reason) is a problem. Mine sits 12” or so above inlet/outlets on my engine.

The bleed valve at the highest point is critical.

Greg

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
You need weigh the benefits against the costs. Is the room worth the work. Presumably you'll need to run ALL new hoses. Coolant in and out and water line cold in and hot out. ALL line need to be continuous. Do not place couplings in these lines. If you are in a winter freeze zone consider making a by-pass manifold for the water line to be able to introduce RV antifreeze into the hot and cold lines.

• Helpful

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
The standard location for the water heater on the C310 is already above the engine. A little bit higher shouldn't matter. Would be nice to have that extra room forward of the fuel tank.

john2

Nov 26, 2022
Catalina 310 58 Leimuiden
Well, it went back on the original place. all the hoses, coolant and water connections are way better to check / service like this.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
What tank did you buy to replace? Mine leaks too and would be nice replace.