re-engine my hr 42

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

john foord

I currently have a volvo penta MD21B engine in my 1983 hr42 can anyone recommend a fairly easy to install replacement, or does anyone have any experience of a complete rebuild of this engine my boat is currently in southern spain

C

Capt Ron;-)

Bullet-Proof

John, A Volvo use to be the 'Rolls Royce' of sailboat engines. Sadly it is not true anymore. 1) Volvo had a company, North American Volvo in New Jersey, and bought the blocks from GM. 2) The parts now days are prohibitively expensive, and NOT worth it. 3) there are much better engines now. 4slama Yanmar in there, put in a fuel 'polishing' system (several filters in varying microns to two). + put a 'Day-Tank' or 'Topper-Tank' in with gravity feed and a separate 12 volt pump and have ZERO fuel problems forever after...a 'happy ending'....;-)

Valen

Oct 30, 2006
- - Gothenburg
New engine

John, I re-engined my 352 -83 last winter. Throw out the original MD21B after a break down of the frech water circulation pump during vacation. Next summer it would probably be another component that breakes down and I had to buy a further expensive VP part, install it myself and lose valuable sailing time (the pump approx 800€ and 5 days). The new Yanmar 4-cyl 54 hp fitted quite well, the only adjustment was to lower the engine foundation in the rear end. Almost the same drop center and angle of the shaft as the MD21B. At the same time I change all connected parts such as filters, shaft, bearing, sealing (and complete electric wireing, but thats another story). For the shaft a high tensile steel was needed in order to avoid to drill a larger hole for the shaft and bearing to take the torqe. It has now about 200 hours in operation without any problems with a three blade folding prop. The Yanmar is shorter, lower, slimmer and about 100 kg lighter and 90% of the exhausts have been reduced. But, there is always a but, the service facilities (filters, oil level check, fuel pump etc) are on the wrong side (sb) but there is space enaugh so it´s not a real problem. Check the cable harness for the engine panel since my was almost to short on a 352, but there are longer as an option. Also check the ability for the feeder pump to suck all the way up from your tank bottom - Yanmar didn´t had a clou about this but I have only the original pump on the engine and it work so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.