Raytheon Chart Platter Question for Old School Folks

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
OK, so my RC520 Raytheon chartplotter I had below for 23 years suffered a screen burn. Not worth replacing the screen (this is a back up; I have a B&G unit in the cockpit). Anyhow, I had a memory failure and thought it was an RL70. I purchased one used. Not until I was bloodied and bruised and twisted from the install did I realize the difference. So, in went the RL70 and out went the 520. I did the set up on the 70 and it works just fine, although I failed to download the 60 waypoints from the 520 which is no loss anyway. What I can't figure out is what is the difference between the 70 and the 520? Any old school guys willing to share? Just a curiosity. I keep the unit for redundancy.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Rick- Wouldn't comparing the manuals for the RL70 and the RC520 show the differences? I had a RL70 and it was just a 7" monochrome radar display. No chartplotter and no way-point storage.
I can't remember the designation for the different units, but there was a 7" color version with a chartplotter and a RL80 series that offered just a radar and a radar/color chartplotter. The RL80 series has a 10" diagonal screen.

See this link I found for a bit more info: RL70C

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
BTW @Rick D , there is a software utility that can convert between different formats of way-points. If it would be useful to you I will find the link to the download and send it.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Rick- Wouldn't comparing the manuals for the RL70 and the RC520 show the differences? I had a RL70 and it was just a 7" monochrome radar display. No chartplotter and no way-point storage.
I can't remember the designation for the different units, but there was a 7" color version with a chartplotter and a RL80 series that offered just a radar and a radar/color chartplotter. The RL80 series has a 10" diagonal screen.

See this link I found for a bit more info: RL70C
This 70 has everything functional the 520 did from what I can tell. The data boxes display a bit differently, but that is about all. No need for the waypoints I had loaded in the 520. Most of those were for races I no longer do.