Raymarine Wheel Pilot Actuator

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
So it looks like my Raymarine autopilot wheel actuator needs to be replaced (the outer cover is cracked as well as the black ring inside). It was working, but squeaking a bit coming back from a trip to the bay so I opened it up to rinse the salt out and found the bad news. Where is the best place to get a replacement? I looked on the Raymarine site and got zilch, some yahoo is selling one on EBay for $590, a place in the UK at 432 pounds or 519 VAT (???), and there is a new one on Amazon for $573. Is Amazon my best option?

Jun 25, 2004
Hunter 306 Pasadena MD
@rpwillia, I'm with you. Mine is 16 years old, has a crack in the gray plastic inner ring, and squeaks like the devil. But it still works perfectly! So I can't b!tch much. But I sort of feel like I should either replace it, or epoxy it up to stop the squeaking. Still: that's one robust bit of equipment, IMHO.

Sep 29, 2008
@rpwillia, I'm with you. Mine is 16 years old, has a crack in the gray plastic inner ring, and squeaks like the devil. But it still works perfectly! So I can't b!tch much. But I sort of feel like I should either replace it, or epoxy it up to stop the squeaking. Still: that's one robust bit of equipment, IMHO.
I am not sure I can epoxy mine as it has multiple breaks in the black ring inside. Looks like the whole thing is getting brittle. This one is 13 or 14 years old and has been faithful.

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
Ray marine sells a wheel replacement unit for a bit north of $500. I had a crack in one of the hold down screws on the rear cover and the wheel unit wouldn’t lock. Spoke to ray marine tech dept and discovered they would sell the outer rear cover for $120. Lesson learned call tech support for possible replacement parts/sections. If u go the replacement cover or rings there are a lot of internal bearings that will fall out and run everywhere. A couple of good you tube videos on how to replace ring and coral bearings.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Care with the inner black wheel is critical.

I have my unit off the boat and have just completed a refurbish/cleaning/lubrication job on it.

There appear to be some specific issues that can creep up. Be glad to help on specifics.

I would encourage a call to the tech line. You will likely be transferred to the guys in England. John is a knowledgable guy. It is my understanding that the wheel AP came from the office in England.

I worked with a guy at I3DGear in Canada. He prints some parts for the EV100/ST4000Plus autopilot. Such as the clutch lever.

It is my understanding that the eccentric gears can stick which messes with the belt and the black wheel putting force on the plastic encouraging it to break. Solve that by opening the unit, removing the eccentric gears and lightly lubing the inside of the black sleeve the fits over the white nylon eccentric gear. Care not to get lube on the belt. Since doing this job the unit appears to be working like new.

Good luck.

Sep 29, 2008
Did speak to Rick at I3DGear and he is awesome, but cannot print the inner black ring where mine is cracked in multiple places and is now just generally brittle. I could probably epoxy the outer cover, but would rather just get it fixed/replaced.

Would this be the correct place for Raymarine?

Mon-Fri, 8.15am-5pm (EST)
Raymarine Product Repair Center
9 Townsend West
Nashua, NH 03063, USA
+1 603 324 7900
americas.service@raymarine.com

Oct 22, 2014
I called the tech number. I think it went to a call center in SC or Georgia. Then I got transferred to the AP techs. They were in London. I asked about the wheel part of the AP.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
You should be able to get the parts required for repair from eBay. That's I got mine...in bits & pieces.

Ken Y

Sep 29, 2008
Thanks All. I did contact Raymarine (now FLIR) via their website and the chose flat rate repair of $275 + $30 for shipping so I am sending it off today. Hopefully this should not take too long. I will post an update on how it works.

Sep 29, 2008
AP and helm are always covered up under a sunbrella cover unless in use. I am guessing the plastic parts cracked because global warming is such as disappointment here in Virginia where we still get cold winters. It is a burden I bear.

FWIW, Via the Raymarine/Flir website I sent the wheel actuator in for repair and it looks like $305 (includes $30 r/t shipping) will fix it all up.

Oct 22, 2014
It is interesting a replacement “wheel actuator” to replace the Autohelm 4000+ part is half the cost of a total new EV100 unit.

It is a mean game.

Sep 29, 2008
It is interesting a replacement “wheel actuator” to replace the Autohelm 4000+ part is half the cost of a total new EV100 unit. It is a mean game.
I just bent over and grabbed my ankles and pretended I liked it. :banghead: FWIW, I just got a shipping notice that it arrives Thursday so it was only a 2 week turnaround to get a repair.