Raymarine Ray 55 Transmits but Won't Receive

Apr 26, 2019
Beneteau Oceanis 31 Toronto Islands
The Ray55 vhf on our Beneteau 31 transmits well but will not receive. Nothing - no weather stations, nothing on 16 or any other channels. Have used my hand held vhf to verify transmissions as well as checking wiring, antenna etc. The radio is about 12 years old. I suspect its toast but before replacing it wonder if anyone has it this issue and were you able to resolve it without replacing the radio. If you did replace the radio did you go with another Ray or another manufacturer? Thanks

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Make sure to get the handheld a pretty good way away from the boat like 100 yards or so to check that the antenna is working.. if much closer, the handheld would pick up signal from the radio itself and not the antenna. If ya get out away from the boat and you can still hear the boat VHF on the handheld, then the antenna is probably OK and the radio is toast. If ya can't hear the boat VHF over the handheld, then the antenna is probably toast. Borrowing a vhf from a dockmate might tell ya if your radio is ok or not too.

Apr 26, 2019
Beneteau Oceanis 31 Toronto Islands
Hi.. I wondered about the same thing and so walked a fair distance away to check with the handheld, also got a radio check from the club and nothing on the reception. 5 by 5 on the send side. Not happy with Raymarine right now ... had to replace the chart plotter recently.