Raymarine E80 Classic network cable

Apr 14, 2010
Jeanneau 42DS Larnaca Marina
I have two E80 Classics networked via a SeaTalk HS Switch. The connection cable (ethernet type?) end has broken and needs replacing. A regular ethernet plug will not fit in the unit's socket so I guess they are not the same. My question is: Can the cable end plug be cut off and replaced with a new one while on the boat? Where do I get the right plug and crimping tool? I hope I don't have to replace the whole cable (10m). Thanks.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The Raymarine site shows that the cable uses a RJ45 connector.
You can get a tool and the connector at a hardware store/box store etc.

What you need to know is the proper cable pairs so that the cable is putting the correct signals on the correct wires. Perhaps there is a wiring diagram or you can cut the old cable so that you can see the wires and in which order they are inserted into the connector.

The site also shows wires with rubber covers intended to make the connection water resistant.

Apr 14, 2010
The Raymarine site shows that the cable uses a RJ45 connector.
You can get a tool and the connector at a hardware store/box store etc.

What you need to know is the proper cable pairs so that the cable is putting the correct signals on the correct wires. Perhaps there is a wiring diagram or you can cut the old cable so that you can see the wires and in which order they are inserted into the connector.

The site also shows wires with rubber covers intended to make the connection water resistant.
The RJ45 (ethernet) connector you can buy from an electronics store does not fit into the E80 socket. That would have been too easy! There must be different RJ45 types.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Leave it to Raymarine to privatize their connectors. They should say “Special” RJ45 lookalike.
Buggar

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
If it truly is a special, impossible to get, RJ connector, I would cut the cable a few feet back and splice back together with standard RJ45 connectors and F-F coupling. Splicing it a few feet back gets the connectors out of the elements and provides some length to cut in case you need to resplice it down the road

I can provide some tips to make crimping RJ cables MUCH easier if you decide to go this route

Apr 14, 2010
If it truly is a special, impossible to get, RJ connector, I would cut the cable a few feet back and splice back together with standard RJ45 connectors and F-F coupling. Splicing it a few feet back gets the connectors out of the elements and provides some length to cut in case you need to resplice it down the road

I can provide some tips to make crimping RJ cables MUCH easier if you decide to go this route
Thank you for the advise. The problem is that the new connector has to fit/snap into the back of the chart plotter, and can't find a connector that would do that. I'm still looking.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Thank you for the advise. The problem is that the new connector has to fit/snap into the back of the chart plotter, and can't find a connector that would do that. I'm still looking.
The method I mentioned doesn't need special connectors. You'll use the original connector on the end of the cable. You'll cut the cable a few feet away from the end and then after you install it, you use ordinary rj45 connectors to put the two lengths of cable back together