Raymarine E7D plotter

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I’ve had this plotter since 2011. I’ve run out of ideas for swear words for it. It is located in the cockpit (where it’s needed). When my fingers are remotely moist, the touch screen does not work. Been that way since day 1. Two yrs ago, the little joystick/zoom knob quit working and right when needed (dense fog). Out comes the ipad. Now, the icon for my boat sometimes freezes and I’m technically not moving..Touch the screen and it updates. Now, I’m considering updating to the Axiom. I think I have to stay RM cuz of radar. Anybody have experience with Axiom touchscreen? Can it be used with moist fingers? The Axiom line has no knobs/buttons. To get those I would have to go to the Axiom Pro line and then go to the 9” instead of staying with 7”.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I never use touch on my e7D. You can get a button array separate from the Axiom, if you want to stay with 7”. I would need a new RADAR to work with the Axiom.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
We recently replaced our old Raymarine with a 9 inch Garmin. So far we are delighted.

Ken

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
We went with B&G. No problems with wet fingers and have both a rotary/push knob and touchscreen. Very happy with all the features.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
We went with B&G. No problems with wet fingers and have both a rotary/push knob and touchscreen. Very happy with all the features.
:plus:

No problems with moisture on our Zeus 3 either, although it's under a Bimini so water is not a huge problem. The Zeus 3 also has a 4 way button pad in addition to the rotary/push knob, so you can operate it without touching the screen at all. It also has a touchscreen lockout mode, so there's no chance of it registering a false touch when you're using the buttons.

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
I never use touch on my e7D. You can get a button array separate from the Axiom, if you want to stay with 7”. I would need a new RADAR to work with the Axiom.
:plus:
I rarely use the touch screen on my E7D either. Wet fingers or not it jumps around way to much. Other that that, it performs well with the knobs. Can you send the unit in for repair of the knobs? I think I'd do that before a new chartplotter and radar.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I did have the knobs repaired and they work. Just not as fast as TS. And “my boat” icon is freezing. That, I do not like. I think the gps receiver flakes out at times.

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
Have you updated to the latest software for all components? Check the Raymaine website for the latest. Are you using the internal gps or external or possibly both conflicting with each other?

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Yes, awhile back. Supposedly, the latest doesn’t affect the peripherals I have. Also updated s/w for pilot and now the compass will not calibrate properly. Had to add in 18 deg manually..Then it said it needed calibration! Everything worked until s/w updates...The gps is using internal gps. The only external gps antennna is for AIS.

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
If you’re compass doesn’t calibrate that would indicate your sensor has magnetic interference. Has it moved?

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
It calibrates according to the procedure. Max deviation 3 deg. It’s just about 18 deg off from the ships compass which I know is correct. So, on the plotter, the icon heading is off. Nothing has changed re the fluxgate.

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
The magnetic deviation in Tacoma is 17 degrees. Anacortes is probably the same. If your plotter is set to true north it will be 17 degrees off. Pretty close to what you are experiencing.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I had the same thought. Rechecked the plotter and it is set for magnetic. After I punched in some corrections manually, it’s better but inconsistent. Sometimes within a few deg and sometimes 10 off

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
If you plan a route, will it follow? Set a course to pass by a buoy or other marker. WIll it pass safely by?

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
It calibrates according to the procedure. Max deviation 3 deg. It’s just about 18 deg off from the ships compass which I know is correct. So, on the plotter, the icon heading is off. Nothing has changed re the fluxgate.
I have nearly the same problem with my eS 7 plotter. GPs position is accurate, but the autopilot compass heading varies 45-180 degrees from the ships compass heading. The boat icon on the plotter either shows me going backward or sideways. I’ve done the autopilot compass calibration routine. it holds until I shut down for the day, but loses the calibration when I power up the next time. Its symptomatic of a dead backup battery like one on a computer motherboard, but I don’t believe there is one in the autopilot computer.

Someone mentioned the fluxgate compass as the culprit, but I am not convinced of that yet.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
. Anybody have experience with Axiom touchscreen? Can it be used with moist fingers?
On Friday I was caught in a 20 minute downpour which gave me an opportunity to play with the Axiom 7 touchscreen in the rain.
Everything worked with wet fingers and screen. Zoom icons, changing screens, pulling the side bar, etc. Better than I expected.
Worked when my iPhone 7+ with screen protector didn't.
If the Axiom didn't work when wet, I would go with the remote button setup but so far so good.

Ward